Sign in to follow this  

YZ 400f?...and other questions

Hey guys,

So, for some reason, I have this immediate desire to get a dirt bike.  I learned to ride when I was 5, but it's been probably over a decade since I rode regularly.  Honestly would like a bike mostly for higher elevation trails with the goal of just having fun, but also to get to some trailheads (for climbing peaks) that my car can't take me...I'm too old to huck myself on the track.  Anyways, I'll probably living at around 9500' and playing at that elevation most of the time (maaaaybe some lower elevation trips on occasion), and I'll likely be riding solo much of the time and need something reliable.  Two questions:  Someone has a '99 YZ 400 (second owner and has had it for a year, previous owner had it in Phoenix the rest of the time) near where I live in CO and is asking $2000.  He says it's in great condition, needs to be rejetted for elevation, but I won't know it's condition until tomorrow when I look at it.  Is this a good price?? Seems high for a bike that old, but i'm aware of the history behind that 4-stroke as well.  Or does anyone have any recommedations on what I can get for around $2000 (this is my budget)??  I was actually hoping for '07-'09 bike for that price, maybe I'm kidding myself?

Thanks for any help on this...all of my research is getting exhausting, so I'm looking to you guys for help :ride:

i would expect that bike good shape to sell for $1000 to $2000. i dont thing it would be the best bike for your use tho. they are hard to start thanks to the manuel comprssion release but hot cams sells an auto decomp to fix that. they are reliable but i would look for somthing newer