Sign in to follow this  

KTM question about first service

Just purchased a brand new ktm 450 xcw yesterday, I read through the manual and it shows first service after one hour. Valve check etc. is this something I can do my self. I've always done all my own work. Also I don't really like the service department where I got the bike from. Also would me doing this void any warranty.

Thanks

Yes, it's all easy to access after you take you gas tank off. Void what warrenty? Your 30 day, probably not but, not sure.

500 exc new, non-competition. Dealer convinced me to wait till 10 hours. None of the valves were out of tolerance but I did adjust closer to the high end. Granted, I tried to stay under ½ throttle, ok, 3/4. I have changed the oil 3 times and the metal shavings really tapered off. What a fun bike, Hope you enjoy as much.

You guys are babying your stuff too much.  

Ride it, enjoy it.

If you use good oil and keep the air filter clean .... you'll be fine.

Agreed! Break it in hard (not on the rev limiter and not lugging) like ya plan to use it. In full disclosure I asked the same question as the OP for my first KTM a few years ago, and my brother looked at me like I was playing a joke on him.

You guys are babying your stuff too much.  

Ride it, enjoy it.

If you use good oil and keep the air filter clean .... you'll be fine.