Sign in to follow this  

Brand new ktm question about first service

Just purchased a brand new ktm 450 xcw yesterday, I read through the manual and it shows first service after one hour. Valve check etc. is this something I can do my self. I've always done all my own work. Also I don't really like the service department where I got the bike from. Also would me doing this void any warranty.

Thanks

Yes changing oil and checking valves is pretty strait forward, not difficult at all. Read through the manual and watch a YouTube video about it first and make sure you have the right tools and it will be no problem.

I've always done it on my crf 450 and R1. just didn't know if I would void the warranty without a dealer doing the first service.

Also I have always used rotella 15 40. In all my bikes. Does any one use it in their ktm. I know ktm recommends motorex

I've always done it on my crf 450 and R1. just didn't know if I would void the warranty without a dealer doing the first service.

How would you rate the vibration level (bars and pegs)in comparison to crf 450 ?

I actually haven't even ridden it yet hopefully take it out tomorrow. My crf was horrible very bad vibrations.

Just purchased a brand new ktm 450 xcw yesterday, I read through the manual and it shows first service after one hour. Valve check etc. is this something I can do my self. I've always done all my own work. Also I don't really like the service department where I got the bike from. Also would me doing this void any warranty.

Thanks

350 excf here, I thought checking valves at an hour seemed weird, my dealer said there's no point to check valves at 1 hour as nothing has seated yet. I did an oil change and checked everything for tightness at 1 hour and same again with valve check at 10 hours.

I was thinking the same thing, thanks for your input. What are u running for oil?

.... Also would me doing this void any warranty....

I don't want to be a Debbie-Downer here, BUT, you only have a 6 month warranty to begin with, so it's not like you're going to check the valves that many times in 6 months, unless you're commuting a 100 miles to work a day.  If you're that concerned about warranty, you could always have the shop do the first one, even though you don't like them.  That way at least, there'd be no questions.  

I'd echo what the others said about checking the valves at 10 hours or so, but that is my personal opinion.  I didn't check mine until 60!  The ONLY reason that I see to check them at 1 or 10, is so that you have a "new" baseline.  All of mine, except one, were on the big side of the gap when I checked them.  What I don't know is whether the one that was "less" was that way when I got it, or if it has started moving.

Oil..........

I did change that around 2 hours or so, since I did a lot of street riding on the first oil change.  Changed immediately to Rotella T.  Used Rotella T for the first 2 changes, and then did 1 with a mix of a T and T6 (30/70), and then switched to full syn T6 after that. 

When using full syn T6, my oil always looks good (still has color left, and isn't black) when I change it, typically around 30 hours or so.  BUT, the one thing that I don't like about it, is it that it makes the transmission harder / notchier to shift.  When I was using T, the oil would be a lot darker at 30 hours.

I"d say, if you were successful with something in the past, I don't see why this bike is going to be much different...

CADman_KS

Edited by cadman_ks

Thanks guy really appreciate it, my first brand new bike so just want all to go well. Thanks again

I actually haven't even ridden it yet hopefully take it out tomorrow. My crf was horrible very bad vibrations.

Rode it yet?

Rode it yesterday. Bike is great! Suspension feels dialed in rite from the factory for off-road. And the electric start is great.

Also I went from an rm 250 set up for woods. And I thought the 450 would be super heavy but it doesn't really feel that much heavier. No real vibrations like my old crf450. All around a pretty good bike

Usually Honda is pretty good about balancing their motors, Im surprised the 450 exhibits bad vibration traits, did you own the bike from new?

Im debating how much less vibes would be between the 450 xcw and the 500, if were to do street duty. 

Edited by Spud786

I didn't have the crf since new but it's seems like most aluminum frame bikes that I owned or ridden vibrated more than a steel frame

I love Hondas in general awesome build quality, but always felt there aluminum frames weren't the best.