Sign in to follow this  

2014 ktm 500 XC-W need more power!

So i have a new 2014 500 xc-w (not the street legal EXC) and i want more power out of it. i believe that on the older ones they could mess with ecu to give it more power. well my ktm shop said they can no longer do that because of the EPA?? so anyway im hoping that someone with his bike can give me some advice on what to do please. i want to put an exhaust on it but what is the best one to maximize the power increase? any other mods? is the FMF snap for the air box worth it?

thanks for your help.

the epa fine is 2500 or 25000 i forgot how many zeros. the guy who does it and shop each get that separate fine... for each bike. so just fixing ten bikes to the power they should put out is a shit ton of money. freaking econuts shouldn't care about motorcycles. 

You in California?idk why they said that they have to remap the Ecu after an exhaust anyway.There's several options for power increase.

well not after the exhaust. they wouldnt do it at all!

Like what mods? any advice on exhaust? i believe tht fmf works directly with ktm so is that the best with the power bomb header? how is the yoshimura full exhaust?

Ya you can't go wrong with fmf or yoshi systems there both great setups.idk why they wouldn't remap the Ecu or use a piggyback Ecu setup.Throwing an exhaust on without a tune is failure waiting to happen lol.Theres lots of things you can do...depends on how much money your looking to spend.Id start with an exhaust and remap or a piggyback Ecu system.If your looking to get extensive you can port the head, get some stage one cams if hotcams make some for your bike.

Edited by minimadness047

An exhaust isn't going to give you some miraculous HP boost. It will add a slight gain and move it around a bit.... Other then that, look into buying a 450. Another member on here posted a relatively stock 500 with a pipe and mapping pushing around the 55hp mark.

A port job will run you $500-700 and easily give you a huge jump in HP. KTM has huge valves and can flow a lot of air....

• Like 3

I have a 2014 500 XC-W and I asked my dealer a similar question, not because I needed it, but just curious.  He tells me there really isn't much more to get out of that motor.  His son is a KTM factory rider and is really dialed in to what can be done with KTMs.  I have no idea what I would do with more power.  I admit to using max power on occasion usually to accelerate, but I find that I am more traction limited than power limited.

Edited by GammaFunction
  • Like 1

...  I admit to using max power on occasion usually to accelerate, but I find that I am more traction limited than power limited.

This has been my experience.  When I'm on the dirt, there's no way that I can put the power to the ground without spinning the rear wheel.  More power would just allow me to spin the rear wheel faster, but I don't think I'm going to be going much faster.

Now, if it were a Motard, maybe you'd want more power, but on the dirt, it doesn't make much sense to me.  

The other thing that this motor does VERY well is lug.  When you're going up a hill, you can almost idle up, now screaming power needed, and the bike just pulls.  If you want to go faster it will, but it's still pulling like a freight train.  So, it doesn't really lack on "power" there either, IMHO...

CADman_KS

• Like 1

This is what i have on all my EFI bikes

Braille Batt

Replaced all the power cables with high strand cables

Extra ground wire connected between the head and negative side of the batt

Akrapovic exhaust with silencer, though i would suggest the FMF Power bomb for low to mid or megabomb for mid to top power

DNA air filter

Tuned so idle is 14.0, light throttle is 13.5 and Full is 12.5

On my 500exc i also added snap insert

On my 450sxf i blueprint ported the head

And NGK double ground sparkplug.