Sign in to follow this  

Rounded off oil drain plug

Vice grips or you could try to tap a slightly undersized socket on it. A few taps on the bolt can make it easier to remove as well.

• Like 1

At least try them. 

Vice grips have no business anywhere near a dirt bike engine unless there is absolutely no other alternative. There are multiple ways of removing rounded off bolts.

Those sockets I posted will remove a rounded bolt as long as it isn't perfectly round. If there are any flats left on it they will work.

Edited by Chokey

IMO  vice grips have no business anywhere near a dirt bike engine unless there is absolutely no other alternative. There are multiple ways of removing rounded off bolts.

Those sockets I posted will remove a rounded bolt as long as it isn't perfectly round. If there are any flats left on it they will work.

Fixed. Do you have trouble with vice grips? I never have and I have removed many butchered bolts with them.

• Like 2

I've had this happen to me before and here is how I removed mine.  First, I shut off the fuel petcock and laid the bike

over on its side out in the grass.  I placed an old bed sheet on the ground first to help protect the shroud graphics.

This gave me a good, clear view of the drain bolt and easier access to it.  Next, I took a very small, hardened tip chisel

and punched a groove into the bolt head.  I made sure to have the chisel positioned at angle.  Once I had a decent

sized groove chiseled into the bolt head I continued hammering on the chisel making sure that the force was being

applied in the counterclockwise direction.  It took every bit of one minute to remove the rounded off drain bolt.  I was

amazed by how easy it came out using this technique.

• Like 2

I had butchered fork bolts a 6 point socket wouldn't even work so I heated it up (don't do that) and Reyes vice grips well those didn't work then I tried what Ron m said to do.... You can try a drill n tap but that might not work I would use vice grips then the hammer and chisel technique if not the idk haha

Fixed. Do you have trouble with vice grips? I never have and I have removed many butchered bolts with them.

Nope. I just believe in using the right tool for the job. Vice grips are a last-resort tool for people that have already screwed something up beyond all repair.

Nope. I just believe in using the right tool for the job. Vice grips are a last-resort tool for people that have already screwed something up beyond all reOnce 

Once a bolt is rounded there are no correct tools. Correct tools are what should be used to avoid this situation.

• Like 3

Once a bolt is rounded there are no correct tools. Correct tools are what should be used to avoid this situation.

Granted. However, things like those sockets I posted can do some surprising things. You would be amazed at how bad the corners of a bolt can be rounded and still be removed by a tool designed to grip the flats.

• Like 2

One thing I have done before, get a lifetime guarenteed socket that will barely NOT go over the bolt, drive it onto the bolt, spray the threads, have dinner, come back and tap the socket to turn it counterclockwise.  I know some don't know which way is off.  You can use a manual impact driver on the socket if you want.  

When you get the bolt out, and drive the bolt out of your newly destroyed socket, return the socket to sears and get a new one.

• Like 2