Sign in to follow this  

bleeding rear brakes no negative comments please

I changed my back sprocket today and due to weather I kinda rushed

I took off the brake line to pull the caliper off with the wheel

can someone tell me how to bleed the rear brakes

In a nutshell, put a clear hose on the bleeder screw running into some type of container, press brake lever down, hold, and loosen bleeder. Then close the bleeder, release the pedal, and repeat until you get only brake fluid and no air bubbles. Don't release the pedal with the bleeder open or you will suck air into the line. Also make sure the reservoir stays full.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz
  • Like 2

It was probably time for you to change out that old crap anyway.

Can buy a one way valve with tube from auto stores to save having to worry about blocking off the tube when releasing the brake pedal. Makes job easier

I changed my back sprocket today and due to weather I kinda rushed

I took off the brake line to pull the caliper off with the wheel

can someone tell me how to bleed the rear brakes

the wheel and axle will come off easlly without disconnecting the banjo bolt and line at the caliper... i guess you see that now. :)

keep the reservoir full to the top, and wrap it with a shop rag so it won't leak all over the swingarm.

pump the brake pedal 10-15 times, then hold it down and break loose the bleeder. (you have a fuel line on that running to a bottle)

repeat 10-20 times until no more air comes out.

keep in mind air will expand and cause the rear brake to lock and fry the pads/rotor pretty dang quick if it's not completely bled. both air and water can cause this, be careful and methodical.

good luck :) 

In a nutshell, put a clear hose on the bleeder screw running into some type of container, press brake lever down, hold, and loosen bleeder. Then close the bleeder, release the pedal, and repeat until you get only brake fluid and no air bubbles. Don't release the pedal with the bleeder open or you will suck air into the line. Also make sure the reservoir stays full.

Since air bubbles rise, I've had much better luck with reverse bleeding.  Reverse bleeding is easy to do with a syringe and a rubber tube attached to the brake bleeder.  First suck out most of the brake fluid from the MC reservoir, then crack open the brake bleeder and gently pump fluid from the syringe up to the MC reservoir, then tighten brake bleeder.  Repeat if necessary.

• Like 2

Works so well

http://www.mityvac.com

LIsten to It's Chooken.  I bought one of these a few years ago.  It was the best 30 or $40 I ever spent.  It makes it so easy.  I'd never go without one again.