Sign in to follow this  

Good Idea or not...

This year has gone by so fast and it is already starting to cool down here. So maybe 2 months of riding season left. Instead of letting my DRZ sit all winter, would it make a decent dirtbike? I know it's heavy but I have 17's on it and dont want the 18/21 setup as I will not be able to touch the ground at all. Any good tires to put on the stock 17's for the winter to use it as just a dirtbike?

• Like 1

This year has gone by so fast and it is already starting to cool down here. So maybe 2 months of riding season left. Instead of letting my DRZ sit all winter, would it make a decent dirtbike? I know it's heavy but I have 17's on it and dont want the 18/21 setup as I will not be able to touch the ground at all. Any good tires to put on the stock 17's for the winter to use it as just a dirtbike?

150ron has some pretty chunky tires.....you should send him a PM and ask what they are and what he thinks of them in the dirt. They're the chunkiest ones I've seen for that size rim....... ;)

• Like 3

Not a huge range in knobby 17"..The guys use some pretty chunky looking tyres....Due to the width of the front rim, the fronts will resemble something off a tractor...lol

They do look quite funny lol. But hey id rather be able to touch the ground.
  • Like 1

To answer your question... "would it make a decent dirtbike?" Heck yeah it does! Get you some good knobbies on there and it will be so much fun! That's what these DRZ's are best for I think. We just use a cheaper knobbie and they work just fine for any dirt situations.... mud hills berms etc.

• Like 3

Find some 18/21 wheels and deal with the height, you will get used to it!!

+1. Get a low seat and get used to tippy-toeing. It's worth it. with the dirt setup the DRZ is a monster in trails and offroad in general.

• Like 3

Find some 18/21 wheels and deal with the height, you will get used to it!!

Matty86 is right.... deal with it... one leg it if ya have too.. it is well worth it! I'm shorter and that's what I deal with every time. You will get used to it and they aren't top heavy so they won't want to just fall over.
  • Like 1

+1. Get a low seat and get used to tippy-toeing. It's worth it. with the dirt setup the DRZ is a monster in trails and offroad in general.

My Dad has the S and even if I put a 2" lowering link on his I would not be able to touch the ground at all. I cant even flat foot one foot on my sm that is lowered 2 inches. Im extremely vertically challenged! I honestly dont think "just deal with it" is an option.
  • Like 3

Just move to Texas. in about 4 weeks, our riding season will START and last until about June 15th.

Help us understand. What is you inseam?

My inseam is about 29/30. My DRZ Sm is sitting at 33" thanks to a lowering link. My dads S (has the 18/21 setup) is at 37.8. And I couldnt even dream about touching the ground at all on that. So if I were to put 18/21's on mine it would be at 35.8 which is still way too tall for me. Am I making any sense?
  • Like 1

Whatever you do, get a second set of wheels. I switched mine out today in less than 15 minutes, including finding all my tools. 

• Like 1

Whatever you do, get a second set of wheels. I switched mine out today in less than 15 minutes, including finding all my tools.

Yup that's the easiest way!