Sign in to follow this  

I have a leaking rad hose, and a race tomorrow. How can I fix it?

I don't know how it happened, but one of my rad hoses has a tear in it.  Are there any fixes for this problem?  Can I buy a new piece of tubing from lowes to replace the hose?  Can I use silicon and seal it, then wrap it in gorilla tape?  What can I do? 

Pull the hose off and try to find the closest possible match at your local auto parts store tomorrow. Maybe could get away with just heater hose if it doesn't have too wild of bends in it.

I doubt any patch job would hold up once the system is pressurized.

• Like 2

Pull the hose off and try to find the closest possible match at your local auto parts store tomorrow. Maybe could get away with just heater hose if it doesn't have too wild of bends in it.

I doubt any patch job would hold up once the system is pressurized.

Good news, it looks like the problem was actually a loose clamp.  I couldn't find any tears in the hose, so I put it back on, filled up the rads, and tightened the shit out of all of the connections, finding one that was really loose.  Started up and ran the bike, no more leaks.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it holds up for the whole two hour long race tomorrow. 

• Like 1

well thats excelent news

MXRider72's response is 100% the best thing you could do had the hose been leaking and exactly what i would have done.

an option if your stuck so far out in the boonies or its 1am and you have a race at 8am

or new years, or christmas or whatever.

http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CLDCtMPSrcACFSbl7Aod_h4AiQ

http://www.xtremetape.com/

and another is...

find a piece of tube, pipe, or fitting (copper, steele, iorn, aluminum)  and another pair of hose clamps