Sign in to follow this  

Skid/Glide plates?

Hey Fellas- what is your opinion on the use of one...for MX primarily? The last aluminum frame bike I had was an '11 from another brand and it had a stock plastic glide plate. This 14 based build may be my last bike for some time and want it to last...any issues on the frame rails from regular mx riding? not the biggest fan of plates because they attract dirt/mud/etc., so please advise and thanks.

I have had good luck with the full-coverage plastic Acerbis skidplates. They are light and block dirt penetration pretty well and cover more, and better, than a glide plate.

• Like 1

I was looking at either the Acerbis or the TM Design Works ones they recently came out with.

I had a Cyrca and it snapped when I cased a jump so I've been running without one for now.

All plastic skidplates are sacrificial in my mind in that they can crack easier than aluminum and if used hard & long enough in the right circumstances they be gouged up to the point their ability to provide continued useful protection is compromised. For heavy woods, non-mx, I prefer an aluminum WC full-coverage plate as its stiffer material won't leave you stranded...

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

Definitely trade offs, i still can't get away from the tracks, so plastic will probably get the nod. If/when I ride more off road, then most likely aluminum. Not really sure why I am so concerned about the frame rails though?!

Protecting the frame rails is one of the cheapest things you can do to ensure the structural integrity of the frame, and to hold higher resale value. Glide plate can do that, but for a little more weight you can cover the vulnerable water pump cover and oil filter area.

• Like 1