Sign in to follow this  

Not sure what to do, help please

I needed to change my shifter seal and my front drive seal. I came up with the bright idea to lay it down partially(throttle on stand) to make access easier. Got the seals, stripped the old ones and got ready to put new ones in. The shifter seal was the wrong one so I had to return it and order the correct one. I left my bike laying down for 4 days until I got the seal and put it in.

Now the issues......I put my bike on the stand and wanted to fire it up. I couldn't move the kick start. After 5-10 minutes it finally went. Then I couldn't start it. Seemed like I had a ton of compression. Usually my bike is gas on, 3 throttle flicks and 1-2 kicks. I left it for an hour and tried again. It fired up but I immediately shut it down because it smoked like crazy and sounded weird.

Not sure if it's something to do with oil working its way down or somewhere it shouldn't be. Maybe it's nothing but I want to be sure.

Bike is a 08 crf450

Shouldnt be much of a problem just leave it right side up for a day and kick it over without starting it a few times then let it get a full warm up it may have been stuck because the oil had moved away from the cylinder and it just got a bit stuck but tbh ive never encountered this before so take my advice with a grain of salt.

you hydro locked it with fuel, you need to change the oil because it is likely contaminated by the gas getting by the rings, you didn't do any permanent damage, just change the oil and it should work fine, might smoke a bit again on first start up.

• Like 2

you hydro locked it with fuel, you need to change the oil because it is likely contaminated by the gas getting by the rings, you didn't do any permanent damage, just change the oil and it should work fine, might smoke a bit again on first start up.

What exactly is hydro locked? By laying it down fuel and oil sat in the cylinder or head or something like that? And now it needs to work its way out and down?

I was planning on doing oil changes anyway so that works out perfect. Thanks for the help guys

yes basically, the fuel was in the intake, and got sucked down through the intake valves, then on the compression stroke it jammed up because you cant compress gasoline, It eventually leaked past the ring and in to the crankcase or up through the valves and freed up.

• Like 1

And a bunch of oil probably settled in the valve cover area.  So when you started it up it got pushed out the breather hose which leads to the airboot and the plugged hose by the front sprocket.  So you should drain that hose and remove your airfilter to see if it is all gunked up with oil.

And a bunch of oil probably settled in the valve cover area. So when you started it up it got pushed out the breather hose which leads to the airboot and the plugged hose by the front sprocket. So you should drain that hose and remove your airfilter to see if it is all gunked up with oil.

Cool, thanks. I'll be doing the full maintenance on it tomorrow. I was actually gonna ask today if oil is stuck in the head or valve cover area. I wanted to let it run for a bit to clear it out before dropping the oil. Bad idea? Edited by Bucknuts21

Too late now as you have already started it so the combustion chamber has been blown out but if it ever happens again pull the plug out of it and roll ot over slowly to blow the cylinder out

Too late now as you have already started it so the combustion chamber has been blown out but if it ever happens again pull the plug out of it and roll ot over slowly to blow the cylinder out

So if I run it for a few minutes before I clean filter and change oil I should be fine?

So if I run it for a few minutes before I clean filter and change oil I should be fine?

Change the oil first. Then fire it up.

We'll I changed the oils and cleaned the filter. Started up first kick but still smokes like crazy. I have the garage door open and I literally smoked out my cul-de-sac. Is this normal? Now what?

A little bit of oil goes a long ways. If all you done was had the bike laying on its side then I cant think of any real damage you could have done. If you have plenty of oil in it and all the other essentials I would get it out and putt around some and try to burn some of the oil off that's creeped up around your rings

A little bit of oil goes a long ways. If all you done was had the bike laying on its side then I cant think of any real damage you could have done. If you have plenty of oil in it and all the other essentials I would get it out and putt around some and try to burn some of the oil off that's creeped up around your rings

Deal! I will burn it out tomorrow