Sign in to follow this  

The CRF230 Can Be a All In One Bike?

After living with the CRF230 for a few years...with up grades to suspension and uncorking, I find it strange that one bike has so many abilities. It can be a Mx bike ( of course not the best one) it can be a trail bike, and of course it's a damn good enduro!

Growing up as a kid, I had the KX's, the CR's and the Yz's...but none of those bikes evolved with me as I aged. I had a narrow focus, with respect to my riding style. I only wanted be in a race or on the track. As one evolve and get older, he become aware of his surroundings. He develop the need to see beyond the track. YES...he want the action to be beyond the track.

I found no bike that can do it ALL better than our Crf230. Like I said, uncork it and give it suspension, it then starts to become a little beast! I wish my XR250R was so good. I wish, new to me 1993 CR250 was so good to have an ability to do it all.

I just find it amazing I have the CR, and the XR all in one bike. If any guys out there feel like I do, please post and let us know.

Edited by The goat
  • Like 3

I practice on my 230. I race on my 230. I travel on my 230. I commute on my 230. I explore on my 230. I have given up on three 250s to come back to my 230. Heck I practically live on my 230. It will be my favorite bike until someone comes out with something even better.

• Like 1

They are very capable overall bikes.  They are OK at everything but they do not excel at anything.  I would love a say an XR400 type engine in a modern chassis for my go to bike.

• Like 1

They are very capable overall bikes. They are OK at everything but they do not excel at anything. I would love a say an XR400 type engine in a modern chassis for my go to bike.

XR400 in a CRF frame would be the next level. Why hasn't anyone made one?

For what it's worth a crf230 with USD forks, Shorai Battery in the Air Box, 89a cam, Wisco piston, and Hlebo shock re-valve is a bad Mojo! And still can't kill the B!tch!!! I think it may just be the perfect bike...at least for me lol

Edited by The goat
  • Like 1

I completely agree.  I took my buddy's A Loop-equipped 2003 XR250 out the other day and it is big and heavy compared to the CRF230.  The XR250 is a great bike but I feel the small chassis and tractor engine of the CRF230 make it easier to ride in many situations.

What's truly amazing is that it is so darn dismal out of the box.  I'd rather have a 1986 XR200 than a bone-stock CRF230.  However...  What's also truly amazing is how that "little" engine wakes up when it's uncorked and rejetted.  Add proper suspension and tires and you have an incredibly reliable and versatile machine.

I've said it many times in the past...  This bike continues to put a smile on my face...

• Like 2

I was going to simply fix the leaky seal on the left leg of my CRF 250x when things became a bit more complicated.  I could not finish the necessary repairs (tearing into the closed fork cartridge for seal replacement. Torches and special order seals) before last weekend's ride, so the 230 was quickly called into action.  I carefully prepped it; lubed the chain, checked the air pressure and dumped some gas in the tank

That's the beauty of this machine.  Always ready to rumble, and up to any challenge in a very fun way.

By the way.  Isn't it interesting how the word "fun" keeps popping up about these bikes?  Isn't fun what this is supposed to be all about?

My favorite bike ever.

• Like 1

I practice on my 230. I race on my 230. I travel on my 230. I commute on my 230. I explore on my 230. I have given up on three 250s to come back to my 230. Heck I practically live on my 230. It will be my favorite bike until someone comes out with something even better.

Frickinjim/Gabe...what ever or who ever you call yourself? You are Clark Kent to me. You and a few other guys showed us how to become Super Man on the CRF230F. Yes you taught us all how to fly on a bike nobody thought could. Thanks!

I was going to simply fix the leaky seal on the left leg of my CRF 250x when things became a bit more complicated.  I could not finish the necessary repairs (tearing into the closed fork cartridge for seal replacement. Torches and special order seals) before last weekend's ride, so the 230 was quickly called into action.  I carefully prepped it; lubed the chain, checked the air pressure and dumped some gas in the tank

That's the beauty of this machine.  Always ready to rumble, and up to any challenge in a very fun way.

By the way.  Isn't it interesting how the word "fun" keeps popping up about these bikes?  Isn't fun what this is supposed to be all about?

My favorite bike ever.

That's what it's all about Fun, uncomplicated and reliable. That's the way I like my bikes, oil, oil filter, changes, clean the air cleaner and  :ride: .

Edited by stevethe

That's what it's all about Fun, uncomplicated and reliable. That's the way I like my bikes, oil, oil filter, changes, clean the air cleaner and  :ride: .

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday.  The CRF230 is like an old Jeep CJ or Toyota FJ Land Cruiser.  It does nothing great but everything well enough.  Durable, torquey, reliable engine and just enough suspension.  Pure utility - No bells and whistles and no extra pieces to worry about.  Everything is just good together and it will always get you home.

"CRF150 - The Jeep CJ-5 of Dirt Bikes"

"CRF230 - The Jeep CJ-7 of Dirt Bikes"

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

Frickinjim/Gabe...what ever or who ever you call yourself? You are Clark Kent to me. You and a few other guys showed us how to become Super Man on the CRF230F. Yes you taught us all how to fly on a bike nobody thought could. Thanks!

Haha thank you... Forgot to mention that... getting paid to ride the 230 is another reason I love it :devil: