Sign in to follow this  

Broke 500EXC rear fender bolt

Whether too much weight in the tail bag or landed too hard I ended up snapping the rear fender bolt that goes into the subframe. Tried to drill, extract, and tap to no avail. Instead took a punch and punched the stock nut out of the subframe and put in an acorn nut that fit perfect. The pic shows the stock nut in my hand with the snapped bolt and the acorn I put in. Think its stronger than stock now as the bolt is larger than stock. Time to ride.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408845336.471834.jpg

Whether too much weight in the tail bag or landed too hard I ended up snapping the rear fender bolt that goes into the subframe. Tried to drill, extract, and tap to no avail. Instead took a punch and punched the stock nut out of the subframe and put in an acorn nut that fit perfect. The pic shows the stock nut in my hand with the snapped bolt and the acorn I put in. Think its stronger than stock now as the bolt is larger than stock. Time to ride.

What did it do to the inner fender structure?  This is one place that KTM has saved weight on these bikes, and it looks like it would be a point of weakness if you loaded the fender down too much.  Some company needs to make a replacement part that is made of out aluminum that kind of takes the place of the inner fender, and then you bolt your taillight onto that.  Then the upper fender could support something...

CADman_KS

Back of subframe/rear fender support is fine. These bikes are not made for much weight on the back fender. My SE is the same way. I carry way more weight than I should and its lasted about 3 years so I have no complaints. However, the strength of the rear fender is a combination of the orange top and black bottom screwed/bolted together. There's two typical screws ktm uses for plastic in the rear and then the two bolts that clamp the orange and black fender pieces in with the white air box piece. Two small weak bolts going into the subframe. It's a good design for what it is designed for which is lightweight and plastic strength with nothing on it. BUT, its not beefed up to put much weight on it and that's where mine broke the bolt. No doubt from my tail bag contents beating on it. Easy fix. But you gotta pull the can off and the whole back end of the bike off to do it if the bolt on the right side breaks like mine did. If it breaks again I'll go with a smaller bag. This one is about as large as I'd recommend without additional support.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408916977.566632.jpg

Edited by oldfuddy

You and me are saying the same thing.

While the two piece plastic inner / upper fender thing is relatively strong for what it does, I think that it could be vastly improved if it were aluminum, so that it could carry some weight...

Yeah, agree. I think due to how the exc is used by most it might never break. I have seen some rear racks that sit up over the fender and look plenty sturdy. Not sure how they attach to the subframe. I think if you extend the current subframe back it would be susceptible to bending/breaking the subframe instead of the two rear bolts. Curious how those racks attach.

I put this rack on from Globetrottin

Holy crap! That thing is for use when escaping a Zombie attack! I'll stick with fender mounting my tools for now, but great to know this type of rack is available for the 500. Especially for those doing more ADV type rides and/or routine daily commutes.

I put this rack on from Globetrottin for my 2013 500 EXC.  Excellent quality and strength.  No cutting of the plastics either.....you can get with or without footpegs.

http://www.globetrottin.com/Mini-Top-Rack-with-Footpegs-GL-Attach-KTM-250-525-2008-thru-2014_p_67.html

That looks like a nice setup.  However, that still doesn't quite do what I was talking about.  I was talking about something that bolts to the existing subframe that extends under the fender.  

If you've ever looked at the bottom side of a DRZ, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  There's "structure" under there that you can use to hold something...

CADman_KS