Sign in to follow this  

Need help from people that know the dirtbike rules in ontario

Hey guys, I live in Ontario, I have a 2009 Yamaha yz250f and i was just wondering if it is possible to make it a road legal bike and what i would need if that is possible? Thanks for the help!

Headlight, Brake-lights turn signals, speedometer/odometer, dot approved tires, Battery(the battery has to be able to run the lights for a least 10 minutes with motor shut off, and a kickstand.

After that you're gonna need to go to MTO, and change the registration from OHV to highway vehicle. Then you're gonna need to get a safety inspection from an MTO certified vehicle inspection station. After that they should give you a plate that mounts to the rear.

You also need a Motorcycle license.

I'm 90% certain that's all you need, but you should definitely research the MTO website before you even start any of this.

To be honest though, it would be easier to buy a street-legal wr250f, then trying to modify an MX bike.

Does your bike's ownership say RUM?
An off-road bike is classified as a "Restricted Use Motorcycle (RUM)" from the manufacturer, which means it can't be street plated.
also i'm pretty sure i heard somewhere they changed the law so you can't do conversions since 2007 here  :excuseme:

Yup.

This is why trashed and blown up bikes (frames) are being sold for $$$ if they were "blue plated" before the rules changed.

Anoter wierd note... I got Diane's TW200 (a dual purpose bike) plated for off road use. The green plate. So she could get insurance, and ride legally.

She had to swear an affadavit saying the bike would NEVER again be registered for road use. It's attached to the VIN now.

If I ever sold the bike, the new owner couldn't register it for on road (blue plate) use.

Headlight, Brake-lights turn signals, speedometer/odometer, dot approved tires, Battery(the battery has to be able to run the lights for a least 10 minutes with motor shut off, and a kickstand.

After that you're gonna need to go to MTO, and change the registration from OHV to highway vehicle. Then you're gonna need to get a safety inspection from an MTO certified vehicle inspection station. After that they should give you a plate that mounts to the rear.

You also need a Motorcycle license.

I'm 90% certain that's all you need, but you should definitely research the MTO website before you even start any of this.

To be honest though, it would be easier to buy a street-legal wr250f, then trying to modify an MX bike.

when and where did you get this info, I just want to know if it's recent because I too have heard the rules have changed?

I think that only applies to special circumstances like ORVs crossing roads to get to/from trails, between stages of a race (think of enduros or xc races where a lot of trail only race bikes run), or for snowmobiles crossing roads in winter.

In my experience with the MTO, the ownership will show what type of tag was applied to the VIN for your bike. I have an XR400 for which the ownership states 'OFF' as the vehicle type. The MTO told me that this designation can never be changed, effective 2007. I bought a parts bike for $300 with no ownership, so i called the MTO and did a VIN search which told me that the parts bike had been registered with a street plate pre-2007. The ownership for the shitty rusted out frame in a corner of my garage reads 'STREET' meaning i could get a blue plate for that bike one day.

Long story short, the conversion from dual sport to dirt bike only goes one way. Once a bike has a green plate, it will only ever have a green plate.

when and where did you get this info, I just want to know if it's recent because I too have heard the rules have changed?

A truck driver that I used to work with told me that back in 2006, he buys old trucks and fixes and lift them and then sells them, so he spends a considerable time at the MTO. I didn't realize that they changed the rules the year after.

Thanks for all the reply's guys i looked at my ownership and it is not able to be put on the road i was just thinking if i could put it on the road easily i could get to trails easier so i wouldn't have to put it in the truck so its not that big of a deal for me, but thanks for the reply's!

Thanks for all the reply's guys i looked at my ownership and it is not able to be put on the road i was just thinking if i could put it on the road easily i could get to trails easier so i wouldn't have to put it in the truck so its not that big of a deal for me, but thanks for the reply's!

agreed!!

I thought the same thing when I bought my dirtbike. I hate having to load the bike on the truck just to go for a ride, but I guess that's the way it goes in this bass ackwards province.

On the ORV clipping posted above, that's an ATV thing.

Some towns, you'll see people getting around on ATVs like they were disability scooters. I see side-by-sides parked outside of grocery stores.

The ATV community is a pretty powerful force. It bypasses reason on occasion.I get that they want to get fron one trail to another, but driving down main street Mattawa?

Crazy.

If you tried that on 2 wheels with a green plate, you wouldn't get 50 feet.