Sign in to follow this  

Rear spring

Just snagged my 1st DS bike (2012 DRZ400S) and was wondering if I need to swap the rear spring. From the little bit of info I could find it seems that the rear spring is set up for <180#'s. I'm 6'3 and 240# and am worried about sag and bottoming out. Anybody in the same boat? What did you do (if anything) or am I just overreacting?

Changing springs is really easy thing to do, give it a go. I changed front and back in mine. Just be careful when draining the old oil to make sure the spring and needle are not sitting in there or you will have to pull it all apart again. Not a fun thing to do at midnight with a plan to ride the next morning. Give it a go

• Like 1

Check Racetech site http://www.racetech.com . They have a spring rate search. You would prob need a. 6.0 rear and .52 fronts.

I'm 100kg  220lb but even with a full OS tank 20 litres, I found the .52 springs to harsh.

I ended up going .48's with 15mm of preload which worked well for the type of riding I was doing.

You will need the 6.0 rear spring.

• Like 1

Changing the springs is relatively easy...do a search on my mod thread. I link to the procedures for doing both front and back and for the front, it's the procedure for doing it without completely removing the forks (get a helper).

Just snagged my 1st DS bike (2012 DRZ400S) and was wondering if I need to swap the rear spring. From the little bit of info I could find it seems that the rear spring is set up for <180#'s. I'm 6'3 and 240# and am worried about sag and bottoming out. Anybody in the same boat? What did you do (if anything) or am I just overreacting?

I'm also 6'3" and 240, definitely change the springs it makes a big difference. Do both front and rear. RaceTech makes the correct springs for the front, however on the rear you will need to go to Eibach to get one stiff enough.

The rear can be done without removing the swing arm or shock. You can do the front without removing the forks, however I still removed them, gave me a chance to clean everything and change the fluid, and seals.

Thanks for the info...

Did you get rear from their website? Why is it better than RaceTech? What number was it? Do you just unbolt rear and swap spring?

quote name="OhioYJ" post="11845378" timestamp="1409087599"]

I'm also 6'3" and 240, definitely change the springs it makes a big difference. Do both front and rear. RaceTech makes the correct springs for the front, however on the rear you will need to go to Eibach to get one stiff enough.

The rear can be done without removing the swing arm or shock. You can do the front without removing the forks, however I still removed them, gave me a chance to clean everything and change the fluid, and seals.

Edited by Bowieeeeeeeeee

Thanks for the info...

Did you get rear from their website? Why is it better than RaceTech? What number was it? Do you just unbolt rear and swap spring?

My current rear was the stiffest RaceTech made, and it's not quite enough at the track, so I plan on picking the eibach soon. I was just going to order it from eBay.

On the rear you can undo the linkage, and just lift the rear up enough to remove the spring clip, then it will just come out the bottom.

drz40071.jpg

Great info ^^^^^ Is this something a novice mechanic can do or is it best left for professionals?

Changing the springs is easy but in order to get the best results you should have the valves worked over to give the best action with the new spring rates.  I don't know enough about the suspension to mess with the valves so I let a professional do it for me.  

Edited by npm