Sign in to follow this  

New redesigned Hot Rods cranks?

So I have been hearing that hot rods redesigned there cranks ? Is this true? When did this happen!

But I think your confused hot rods is a pretty good crank just think wiseco is the crank in doubt because their crank is

Edited by funke5372

I have one in a yellow and black box that I tossed out after less than 3 hours running cause it was a piece of crap

What made it a piece of crap? How is your current crank better?

Put my motor together with a Hotrods crank, bearings and seals. passed leakdown perfectly, but was leaking trans oil into crank when running.

Split the cases again and put it back together with Yamaha seals and passed leakdown perfectly again. Started leaking trans oil into the crank again after 1 hour running.

Rebuilt again with Yamaha crank, bearings and seals and running perfect now.

Yamaha crank was less than $30 more than the hotrods

The only way oil would leak in crank case is if you did not seal the cases correct or a oil seal installed wrong . What's the crank have to do with it ? Lol

Edited by Jd267

The only way oil would leak in crank case is if you did not seal the cases correct or a oil seal installed wrong . What's the crank have to do with it ? Lol

Leakdown passed (maybe you dont know what a leakdown is though) so the cases were sealed. Only way it could leak was cause the crank was wobbeling around enough in the seals to leak under vacuum. LOL

So the bearings had play or crank journals were undersized your saying? By the way I'm a mechanic and know what a leak down test is. It's just people rag on hot rods just because it's cool to for some reason. Most have never used any of there products

There has not been any redesign of Hot Rods crank. Only thing new is the USA made rod.

Cranks are measured on a poka-yoke truing machine before shipment - cant leave the factory out of true. Never seen an out of true Hot Rods crank in my life- and I've seen a lot of them!

Got a email from hot rods saying the new cranks are in the yellow boxes and they are in fact redesigned. BDT motor sports confirmed also. He said the old cranks had problems not new ones

Got a email from hot rods saying the new cranks are in the yellow boxes and they are in fact redesigned. BDT motor sports confirmed also. He said the old cranks had problems not new ones

Compete BS!

Compete BS!

Yeah, I have not heard of any issues with their crank... but I'm new to yzs so I'm still learning. if oem is only $20 or 30 more I don't see why people don't go that route.. how many hours could 1 expect on a crank for a yz 250?

Just installed one in my 06 yz250 came in a yellow n black box. Over 10 hrs now no issue and all I did was a couple heat cycles and one quick ride before racing it for two days at Washougal. Got one in my 06 yz144 closer to 20 hrs no problems.

Yeah, I have not heard of any issues with their crank... but I'm new to yzs so I'm still learning. if oem is only $20 or 30 more I don't see why people don't go that route.. how many hours could 1 expect on a crank for a yz 250?

They had a whole bottom end kit with gaskets my dealer sold me cheep. I used them for years in my trx250r quads and never had any problems. I think it's all who is building the engines and if they are real mechanics or just playing mechanic then bad mouth products due to there F up's Edited by Jd267
  • Like 2