Sign in to follow this  

Little help

Hi guys, first post and its a bit of a doosy. I was changing my tranny oil on my 2000 yz250 today and when I went to re-install the drain bolt I broke it because I'm an idiot with more muscles than brains. So for my snapped bolt I grabbed a small punch and hammer and began working the remaining portion of the bolt from the plug. During this process I hammered out the inside of the bolt and it went into the transmission through the drain plug!. It was an aftermarket moose racing drain plug with a plastic? interior. So now that small piece of plastic or whatever is inside my transmission and I'm wondering what is the best way to get it out. I've tried fishing it out with small instruments but I don't think its going to happen. Thanks for any advice, I'm just amazed at how stupid I am.

Your not stupid or an idiot, your human. welcome to the human race LOL.I would try pouring some fresh oil in the fill hole as usual slowly and seeing if it comes out the drain.

• Like 2

I don't think it'll come out easily, if its just plastic, chances are high it will be chewed up by the the tranny without breaking anything but with bad luck it could wedge itself somewhere and cause some breaking.. 

If its just plastic and you can get a wire sling around it; with enough heat you could melt the core and make it small enough to fit through the hole. I don't think it will be easy though. But then again patience is also a human virtue :) 

So after some further tinkering and no luck. I believe that the "plastic" piece I knocked inside was actually a magnet! So it seems like I'll be tearing it apart after all.

Yeah, it's the magnetic center that you find on a lot of aftermarket drain plugs. If it's just laying in the bottom of the sump, try working a piece of steel wire through the drain hole, bend it over, and see if you can get the magnet to attach to it. Might be able to just drag it back out on the wire

• Like 2

are these all the gaskets I will need to split my case and open up the bottom end to get that magnetic core out?

1 - Clutch Cover Gasket
1 - Inner Clutch Cover Gasket
1 - Mag Cover Gasket
1 - Center Case O-Ring
1 - Water Pump Gasket
1 - Right Crank Seal
1 - Left Crank Seal

You'll also need a cylinder base gasket since you'll have to remove the cylinder. You'll be removing the engine so it won't be necessary to remove the head.

Also, you don't need to remove the water pump cover to remove the side case. Two of the bolts hold the cover on only and the other two go through and hold the cover and the case on. Don't remove the ones for the water pump cover only.

Same for the clutch access cover also. Just leave it on. Not necessary to remove, just take the whole side cover off with the access cover and water pump cover in place. As you push it back on just rotate the crank to align the gear for the pump.

Oh and yamabond for the center case since yamaha doesn't use a gasket there.

However, there are gasket kits available. Often that's the most cost effective way to go and to be sure you have every thing.

Edited by Supertuner_tb

You can always just buy the Tusk full bike gasket kit. It is prob your cheapest option. Then you'll just need the Yamahabond.