Sign in to follow this  

150psi Comp in a 2003 KX125 o.k?

I have been refurbishing an beat down 2003 KX 125 I bought recently. When I put the new Wiseco piston kit in, I got a little carried away when I filed the rings for proper ring gap. It ended up at .024. I was a bit disappointed but I went and threw it together anyways.

Before the new top end the compression was 120 PSI, and this was with an incorrect Wiseco piston for a 2004 KX125 (different part number).

After the new kit and my generous ring gap, it went up 30 PSI to 150 PSI.

For a comparison I have a modded  2005 YZ125 that has a ported cylinder, Wiseco GP piston and head mods that I have to run Avgas/Racegas in and its compression is at 170 with 3 hours of run time. All readings were made with the same compression gauge.

My question is, will 150 psi be o.k for a bit? If I have to, I will re-ring it. I just wanted to get your opinions on it. I did feel better after the compression reading compared to my modded YZ's reading of 170, but I am not sure that's a good comparison.

Thanks,

Jeff

150 is your bottom limit and be changed at that point. Like blackwoods said. You shouldnt have touched it.

I had no choice but to file them, I couldn't even fit the .010 gauge in. I just ordered the stuff to re-ring it so all will be well this weekend.