Sign in to follow this  

What Type of Coolant?

I have a 98 RM 250. I haven't changed the coolant yet but I plan on doing it soon. Is there a specific coolant I should buy? Is the drain plug under the radiator? Also, how often should I change the coolant?

Edited by DeJay126

I'm confused if you joking or being serious. 

If your being serious:

Pretty much any coolant will work.  As long as it is safe for aluminum.  I think most are.  Drain bolt is located on the right side of bike at water pump.  It shoots out like a super soaker so be ready. 

Do you really think that anybody is that retarded?

Not saying that you are, but in general, yes. As dirtsmoker mentioned, just look for aluminum safe and you want to stay away from silicates, it acts as an abrasive and can chew up things in the cooling system that weren't intended to be.

Edited by orangyktmthing
  • Like 1

If your being serious:

Pretty much any coolant will work. As long as it is safe for aluminum. I think most are. Drain bolt is located on the right side of bike at water pump. It shoots out like a super soaker so be ready.

Yes,I'm quite serious. I haven't owned anything off road with a radiator. Wasn't sure if there's a certain type of fluid specific for these motors.

Not saying that you are, but in general, yes. As dirtsmoker mentioned, just look for aluminum safe and you want to stay away from silicates, it acts as an abrasive and can chew up things in the cooling system that weren't intended to be.

Sounds good. Any specific brand you'd recommend as being better than others? Don't know if the cooling quality is different between brands or if they all run about the same.

Sounds good. Any specific brand you'd recommend as being better than others? Don't know if the cooling quality is different between brands or if they all run about the same.

The last stuff that I bought was the honda hp coolant, just due to the fact that the neighborhood bike shop is about a mile away from my shop. If you go to the auto parts store, they should have coolant that will meet your needs. Chances are that you will spend less on a gallon than on two quarts of the honda coolant, though. 

• Like 1

Good choice...I've run it in my old bike along with my new one and have had no problems with it.

Awesome! I haven't read anything bad about it so far.

Anybody have any tips or suggestions for flushing the system?

Awesome! I haven't read anything bad about it so far.

Anybody have any tips or suggestions for flushing the system?

All I did with mine was flush the old out with water. Preferably distilled water.    

• Like 1

Do you really think that anybody is that retarded?

You need to recognise a Joke when you see one

If your being serious:

Pretty much any coolant will work.  As long as it is safe for aluminum.  I think most are.  Drain bolt is located on the right side of bike at water pump.  It shoots out like a super soaker so be ready.

Yeah .. I saw 98 and couldn't resist

You need to recognise a Joke when you see one

Yeah .. I saw 98 and couldn't resist

While we're here, do I have to mix the gas or can I just run diesel...

• Like 1

I'm so confused. Maybe I should just get rid of the rm... Go back to four wheels. Hahaha riiight.

I rode my first 450 quad a few days ago, after switching to my rm from a blaster I had for a few years. Wanted to try out two wheels...well needless to say after getting on a yfz450... I'll never go back to a quad. That 450 has nowhere near as Much power as my rm. As much as they're talked up I was expecting it to be comparable to my bike... Guess I thought wrong.