Engine RPM'S at 50-100mph

I'm running 15/38 on my S with SM wheels, no complaints. FCR 39 (non-mx), Stage 2 Hot Cams, RS2 (open). Flat road, tucked, I can hit the rev-limiter in 5th gear, and I'm 250 lbs.

That's exactly the same as 16/41.

I hate riding tucked.

It always feels like cheating and sketchy (holding on to the fork tube versus the left grip).

• Like 1

Thanks for the info,   we are running the same gearing (15/41) i wonder why your bike is at about 500 RPM'S higher then mine at the same speed?

Most likely it is because he has a more accurate (aftermarket) speedometer than you.

The reasons below will also cause some variance.

Different height-profile (Aspect ratio) front tyres ?

A different size rear tire. The same gearing will need higher rpm to go the same speed with a smaller tire.

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 1

chame sold his drz and bought an fz07. no idea why. he owned the drz and now hes financing the other bike. he doesnt even go anywhere anyway. so ill be the only one i know of out there with an sm. you'd be the next closest. the other guy i know had his stolen last year and the guy that chame rode with sold his too and bought the exact same bike as chame. $8200 for a bike seems too much for me. At least for now when i have no need for one. when i get back i'll be having to go to los alamitos to fly at least a couple times a month. it might be worth it then but i think id still get the fz09...

Same here,  i still hit the FZ09,  have him contact me,  id like to see the FZ7 in person. 

If i was to pay $8k for a new bike,  it will be the FZ7 over the SM,  just being honest,  you get so much more for your money,  and people say they feel like a SM . 

• Like 1

I can't go faster, mostly bike doesn't let me.  :naughty:   It is sad, I can't reach 9000 rpm and over... It was easier to reach(but can't pass) to 9000 before maintenance. I made valve clearance, carb cleaning and change main jet from 155 to 150 on maintanence.

You have fitted a smaller Main Jet, this will reduce power at WOT. #160 MJ is recommended for FCR 39, 3x3 and open pipe.

• Like 4

Ill see if hell let me take it for a spin and report back :D

he says it's way more power but he doesn't really have anything to compare it to besides his wr and his drz. It's not even the same kind of bike. I would expect it to be different. I might even consider a low mile used speed triple. He doesn't like to work on his bikes. He sold his for $2500.. Edited by jawknee21
  • Like 2

You have fitted a smaller Main Jet, this will reduce power at WOT. #160 MJ is recommended for FCR 39, 3x3 and open pipe.

I have stock exhaust, stock Mikuni carb. and 3x3 air box mod. Thats all. If  I am not wrong 150 MJ is suggested for this setup and 155 is for opened exhaust. 160 is for "extremely opened ? " may be but I am not sure as I said. 

But I will try 155 again to see difference  ?

I have stock exhaust, stock Mikuni carb. and 3x3 air box mod. Thats all. If  I am not wrong 150 MJ is suggested for this setup and 155 is for opened exhaust. 160 is for "extremely opened ? " may be but I am not sure as I said. 

What is your elevation?

After rereading your posts, you say your exhaust is stock, do you mean as in original, like it's unopened, like how it came from the factory?

In which case it might be your exhaust holding you back.

After rereading your posts, you say your exhaust is stock, do you mean as in original, like it's unopened, like how it came from the factory?

In which case it might be your exhaust holding you back.

Yes, it is still same as came from factory ? , which means stock exhaust AFAIK, is there any other meaning/expression ? 

Unopened ?? How is opened stock exhaust?  :thinking:

I am just following 3x3 mod setup which is studied by experts. They don't strictly suggest an aftermarket or opened exhaust. They claimed #150 main jet for stock exhaust instead of OEM #142.5.

If stock exhaust holding me back on this setup (at high rpms or top speed) what is the meaning of applying this 3x3 mod?? Bec. I don't think stock bike stucks @ 8000~8500 rpms at 5th gear on straight. Does it ??

Yes, it is still same as came from factory ? , which means stock exhaust AFAIK, is there any other meaning/expression ? 

Unopened ?? How is opened stock exhaust?  :thinking:

I am just following 3x3 mod setup which is studied by experts. They don't strictly suggest an aftermarket or opened exhaust. They claimed #150 main jet for stock exhaust instead of OEM #142.5.

If stock exhaust holding me back on this setup (at high rpms or top speed) what is the meaning of applying this 3x3 mod?? Bec. I don't think stock bike stucks @ 8000~8500 rpms at 5th gear on straight. Does it ??

You need to get a aftermarket pipe IMO,  like a FMF, or MRD, or YOSH,  something that will allow the bike to let the air out,  doing the 3X3 and jetting is allowing the bike to breath better and get more fuel,  but it cant push it out with the stock exahust cause its restricting compared to the aftermarket open pipes,   a exhuast is usually the first performance mods people do in general. 

• Like 2

You need to get a aftermarket pipe IMO,  like a FMF, or MRD, or YOSH,  something that will allow the bike to let the air out,  doing the 3X3 and jetting is allowing the bike to breath better and get more fuel,  but it cant push it out with the stock exahust cause its restricting compared to the aftermarket open pipes,   a exhuast is usually the first performance mods people do in general. 

You might possible right, more opened exhaust let it out better  ?  But I will not go with exhaust for performance first, I don't like the price and sound.. Yes 3x3 mod + aftermarket exhaust seems a good combination because we both boost intake and exhaust. That is what should be done IMO to get healthier performance.

What I am trying to point out is if #150 or 155 MJ is too much for stock exhaust than it shouldn't recommended in 3x3 mod with stock exhaust. May be I should try #142.5 again, it may give ~similar performance with higher mpg, who knows ?

Don't get me wrong, I not maligning 3x3 mod. Bec I have 160 rear tyre now and it is really flat. I mostly suspect from that about having hard times at top speed. I will get 140 rear at the end of this month and will see what changes  ?

Edited by Syanur

What I am trying to point out is if #150 or 155 MJ is too much for stock exhaust than it shouldn't recommended in 3x3 mod with stock exhaust. May be I should try #142.5 again, it may give ~similar performance with higher mpg, who knows ?

Where do you get this propaganda from....Most set ups run well with a 155 main jet (3x3 mod and stock exhaust)....

Edited by Craig-o

Where do you get this propaganda from....Most set ups run well with a 155 main jet (3x3 mod and stock exhaust)....

Don't get me wrong, I not maligning 3x3 mod. Bec I have 160 rear tyre now and it is really flat. I mostly suspect from that about having hard times at top speed. I will get 140 rear at the end of this month and will see what changes  ?

Is this the propaganda you mean ??

We were talking about opened/AM exhaust suggestions... 

Is this the propaganda you mean ??

We were talking about opened/AM exhaust suggestions... 

No , I am talking about this ------> What I am trying to point out is if #150 or 155 MJ is too much for stock exhaust than it shouldn't recommended in 3x3 mod with stock exhaust. May be I should try #142.5 again, it may give ~similar performance with higher mpg, who knows 

No , I am talking about this ------> What I am trying to point out is if #150 or 155 MJ is too much for stock exhaust than it shouldn't recommended in 3x3 mod with stock exhaust. May be I should try #142.5 again, it may give ~similar performance with higher mpg, who knows ?

Craig, I hope we are not badly arguing ?

Let me explain that, when I said I stuck at 8000~8500 rpm during top speed try, in case of holding back by oem exhaust, people suggested to get an opened exhaust or opening oem exhaust in good faith. Which meant also using #150/155 MJ is over graded for stock exhaust(Am I wrong?). So I wrote that sentence with "IF"...

• Like 1

Craig, I hope we are not badly arguing ?

Let me explain that, when I said I stuck at 8000~8500 rpm during top speed try, in case of holding back by oem exhaust, people suggested to get an opened exhaust or opening oem exhaust in good faith. Which meant also using #150/155 MJ is over graded for stock exhaust(Am I wrong?). So I wrote that sentence with "IF"...

It's all good mate.. ? ..A 155 main jet with 3x3 mod and stock exhaust usually works fine at near sea level for most applications

• Like 1