Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM Loud knocking and lots of backfiring!

So...

Bike has been running sweet until today!

I was out for a ride and noticed on deceleration the bike started back firing a lot, way more than normal. Then i noticed a fairly high pitched knocking sound which got louder and louder (headed home immediately). The noise is similar to the cam chain ticking noise but much louder and more of a metalic metal hitting metal or rattling type sound, it also sounds like its coming from the cylinder area?

I am going to trailer it into the bike shop first thing in the morning as its my daily commuter and need it back on the road asap, just though i would see if anyone has had a similar issue and might be able to give me a heads up on what im in for!?

Cheers

Please keep us posted. Many people post without ever letting us know what the end result is. Thanks.

It can be a number of different things. I would not start it again until it's been inspected. Without a video it's anyone's guess. At this point it's not worth starting it just to make a video.

Well,

After receiving a comment on another forum suggesting an exhaust leak (which I though "no way" judging by the horrendous noise coming from the bike)
I checked it over this morning and found that the header connection to the cylinder was loose!! the nut was missing and the bolt had backed out!

Found a replacement nut, applied locktite, tightened it all back up and its FIXED!!

Saved me a trip to the bike shop, so stoked!

• Like 1