Sign in to follow this  

2014 yz250f hard to start

Hello all,

Been reading the forums and some great advice here. Was wondering if someone could please help me out.

My last bike was 2009 yz250 2 smoker and then I sold it. Kind of wish I wouldn't have was a very fun bike to ride.

Recently bought a 2014 yz250f and I find it very difficult to start. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Takes quite a lot of kicks when it's cold but eventually starts. When I am out riding for a while and I biff, it is really frustrating cause it takes forever to kick over to the point I get tired. Slows down everyone riding with me.

Friends have said it might be because it's new. Have over 15 hours on it and took it in after 10 hours for the service etc.

Is it me or the bike or both? I am by no means an expert rider but something isn't right. I can kick over 450s easier than mine. 

Anyone have suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

Mine was difficult before it was broken in but starts with 1-3 kicks now, hot or cold. If it's fairly cool where you're at, are you using the enrichment circuit (choke) to start it? After that, just getting it to top dead centre before I'd kick it usually worked. Maybe pull your spark plug and check the gap or throw another plug in there as they're cheap? Are you riding at higher than normal elevation? Do you have a gytr programmer for the bike? How does the bike work/run for you otherwise?

Cold kick it over twice slowly, pull the choke for want of a better name :) Find TDC kick firmly it should fire first kick. Hot find TDC take your time and kick, always starts between one and three kicks depending on how you stopped it i.e stall or with the kills switch. You must find TDC and have the kick start at the top of its stroke. Its an easy starter but does require a firm kick. 

Edited by MartyMOOSE

It's a four stroke valves will need adjusted every once n a while but that not always the case. My cousin has an 07 yz250f ad he let me ride well I stopped and moved a tree I went to start it and just wouldn't start so I put it in first and pulled the clutch in and it started first kick

Mines the same way. Find TDC and it'll fire right up. I'm getting better at it but my buddy can hop on my bike and start it first kick, he just feels with the kick start till he hits TDC, let's the starter go all the way back up, then one firm kick. Fires every time for him.

Mine has been hard to start when it has been sitting (I don't get to ride often). I got where I started it at home before I went to the track because it would take 20 kicks. Then an hour later when I got there, it would start in 1 or 2. I suspect that with no battery, the FI and fuel pump take a few kicks to charge up a capacitor (but should not take 20+). I know everyone says don't touch the throttle, but I've found that after setting for a while I give it a couple of kicks to get the electrical system going, activate the cold start and then crack the throttle just a bit and it fires right up.

I am in a similar situation.  This is my first bike so I am learing it but whew its a workout when i stall it.  My buddy's 04 CRf250 starts with 1 kick, but i think these tips will help me out.

I can't help but think its starting technique mine has started first kick from day one. Raising idle may help as well. Martys post is spot on. Also keep your hand off the throttle when starting.

Assuming your valves are in spec and you're not touching the throttle, a few things could help here.  

I found that sometimes if you don't find tdc, you can end up with the engine in a position in the stroke from which it won't start.  If you get the engine to this position, when you kick it, it won't start, then the engine ends up right back in the same position after the kick.  It feels like the engine goes around about twice and stops in the same part of the stroke.  So you repeat this non-starting kicking process until you're blue in the face.   

If you're in this situation, I've found that you need to either stop and find tdc, or you can have some luck with a very small throttle opening during the kick.  TDC works better.  

Another thing that I found is that some maps start better than others AND it's not always the small throttle opening settings that affect it.  It could be that wherever your throttle was when you stalled, that's how much fuel got squirted into the cylinder that didn't burn.  I've found that the more rich FI settings can make more power but also make it hard to start hot after a stall.

If anyone has other theories on this, I'd like to hear them.  I'm heading out on a gnarly slow technical 80 mile ride today so I'll have an opportunity to test these theories many times.  

Quite a difference from the 2 smoker to 4 stroke and fuel injection.

Thank you all for the great advice!

Been ripping it up since last post. Think the hours on it helps. Just slow kick till TDC then it fires.

• Like 1