YZ125 on difficult trails? Or alternative light bikes?

Hey,

I ride a DRZ which I love 90% of the time but I'd like something lighter for some of the rocky crazy mountain trails next to my house.

I'd like to get a YZ125 because there's loads for sale, cheap and easy to maintain and get parts easily. I'd probably get out on it once a week for a few hours and hit the trails I can't do on my DRZ.

I'm worried with a 2 stroke I wont be able to build any speed because of the amount of turns and obstacles, it's not that I want to go really fast, I ride pretty slow, it's just I need some torque to get going after I turn a corner or hop over something and there's a hill will a 2 stroke 125 still get me up it?

I weigh 70kgs/155lbs.

Otherwise for more money there's the 4 stroke yz250f but it's an extra 35lbs or so, still 50lbs lighter than a DRZ but, I'm not sure 50lbs is gonna make a load of difference or be a completely different bike to a DRZ.

Probably its one of those things you just gotta buy it and see but any input i'd appreciate. I mountain bike these trails in the opposite direction (coming down) and I just need something closer to a mountain bike than a motorcycle to get up them.

Almost any bike will feel light after coming off of a drz400.

YZ125 will have around the same power and weight like 90lbs less.  

As far as 125cc two strokes go for tight trails it really depends on your style.  Have you ever been on a two stroke before?

They are super light and easy to maneuver but you will be on the clutch a lot in the slow tight sections.  They take off very well though to get ready for straights or small hills.  

If your talking about large hill climbs the 125 an struggle some...especially if you don't have enough speed going in to it.  

My main woods bike is a YZ250.  Some people think the hit is too much for the tight stuff but it is perfect for me.  Also you can take off so quick out of turns.  I've been on some pretty big hill climbs with the 250 and it has struggled occasionally but is better then the 125 all around IMO.

• Like 2

My first bike was a 2 stroke, but only a 50cc. I don't mind working harder and being on the clutch it's yeah the manoeuvrability I want. I'm willing to adapt, not giant never ending hill climbs, it's more really tight steep hills with a ton of bends in it or a steep little hill after a tight turn I'm worried about. I get in these slots with my drz and start thinking how the hell am I getting out of this before spending 10 minutes turning around.

while I was mountain biking I took some photos for an example of something I'd like to go up. Some don't look that steep in the photos, but they're all as steep or steeper as the first photo it just shows better because it's a longer section.

On photo 3 you have to come pretty much to a complete stop to get the bike around that corner because of the rocks and huge drop on the other side thats the sort of thing I'd like to be able to get around and still be able to have the torque to get up the hill.

47YkV0m.jpg

hGCAvlO.jpg

MuvkSrt.jpg

Lczf80v.jpg

I8t4lgf.jpg

Edited by jim87

That looks like a lot of fun!

I used to drive a drz400 off road and know how much that extra weight sucks.

Not sure what I weigh in gear but I'm right at 6 1 and weigh about 180 (have been as much a 195) without gear.   That being said I still think the drz400 was a fat pig out on the trails. 

With a 125cc you will definitely be on the clutch ALOT through that.  You'll be amazed at how quick you can get back up to speed from a near dead stop though. 

You can also get a 144 kit and get it ported for woods riding.  That would help some too.

Edited by DirtSmoker250
  • Like 1

Awesome thanks for your help. Yeah the drz just worries me sometimes, its a great bike all round but heavy for anything difficult. So hopefully theyll complement each other. I'll get out and look at some asap.

You can also get a 144 kit and get it ported for woods riding.  That would help some too.

This is what I did. Definitely a good option.

I also added 110 rear tire and appropriate gearing. The bike got excellent traction, and was a ton of fun all in a little 200 pound package.

• Like 1

I'd hate to ride a DRZ pig on those trails.

If you have a good selection of YZ125s nearby and for decent prices count yourself lucky. People are waking up to what a great bike they are and the values for especially 2006-and-up YZs are rising in a lot of places in the US.

Your best bet is to buy the cleanest, nicest one you can and immediately send the cylinder out for (at least) porting. You can go with a 144cc kit but just basic bottom end port work will make it a great woods bike and pretty cheaply.

Think of it this way: any used bike of this type should be getting a new piston by you. Might as well have it ported while you have the cylinder off.

A 125 is as close as you can get to a mountain bike and they are really fun in the woods with some port work.

• Like 2

A YZ125 can be a fast, fun and easy to maintain off-road bike.....but they require a lot of clutch work and the ability to maintain cornering momentum all the time. Not a bike to get lazy on. I ride a YZ250 often and when the YZ125 is taken instead it reminds me how much easier a 4 stroke is to ride in many situations. A two stroke is obviously great for inexpensive maintenance, but the 125 is not for everyone especially on difficult trails even with good gearing, tires, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the opinions and advice. My plan right now is still to get a nice yz 125 and ride it a bit. Get the porting done. I'll keep you updated but it'll be a couple weeks as I'm going away on vacation after Tuesday.

• Like 1