Sign in to follow this  

Known Alternative Exhaust Installations

Hey guys,

I was hoping to get a better idea on what my options are for exhaust cans that fit the XR650L.  

I thought it would be good to have this information all in one place for noobs such as myself to easily find the info without starting a new thread every time.  If this is already listed somewhere, please advise. 

From the XR's Only website it seems the 600R pipe fits, can anyone confirm this?

I was also reading a thread lately about the Honda 350X ATC pipe fitting on the 650L, but I could not ascertain the details of this conversion.

I know that armed with the proper knowledge and tools, any pipe can be made to fit, so please let's keep it limited to a hacksaw and basic hand tools.

Fire away!

Thanks!

As far as the 350X thing, it's just the baffle, not the whole muffler.

Here is a thread where a ATC250R baffle is shown installed: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1076421-what-the-hellheres-some-stuff-i-did-to-my-bike-recently/

Almost anything that will fit the later XR600R will fit the XR650L, with the exception of the DMC exhaust, because the starter is in the way on the XR650L.

DMC here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/987540-my-97-xr600-what-pipe-is-this/

There is an aftermarket insert shown near the end of this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/950171-pictures-of-exhaust-95-xr600/

Here is mine with an FMF Megamax:

1128131656.jpg

Everything I just posted links to is NLA, and difficult to find, that goes double for the DMC.

I just done some real easy legwork for you, you can take it from here. The big tip is to use Google or another search engine with "thumpertalk" in the search. The Thumpertalk site search isn't very good.

Edited by Onederer

Virtually ALL 83 to present XR500/XR600/XL600 and XR650L exhausts are interchangeable with minor differences in length and mounting points. Good frikkin' luck finding ATC350X pipes. A friend recently put an WR450 FMF Q4 on his 97 XR600 with a minor change at the connection point.

Dang, I must not have finished my reply!  Thanks for taking the time to answer a few of my inquiries guys.  There is a few DG 350X exhausts on ebay right now, heck there is even a NOS Cobra or two!  I gather it's the stock Honda one that is desirable?  Good to know pretty much any of the XR series exhausts will work, I can't figure out why all the other XR's are bigger than the 650 though!!??  Somehow that defies logic, but maybe it is for emissions?  I'll figure something out, I think I might just get a cheapo off a random bike and try my hand at this.

I know that armed with the proper knowledge and tools, any pipe can be made to fit, so please let's keep it limited to a hacksaw and basic hand tools.

You're not really making other pipes fit with a hacksaw and hand tools.  If you're not willing to weld, then save yourself the trouble and stick to a pipe made for the bike.