Sign in to follow this  

1991 Xr200r rear suspension

Wondering if someone can tell me what the length of a stock rear shock is supposed to be on a 91 xr200. It's way higher than it should be and I am trying to lower it to stock height for my girlfriend to ride. Also the tires are 18 rear and 21 front I think try might be larger than stock as well. Thanks in advance

Stock tire size on the 91 is 17", so the 18" raises the rear end ~ 1/2". You also have the taller suspension components, which are highly sought after. 

As a short term solution, I would lower the rear by adjusting the rear spring collars to lower the seat and suspension height. Don't go crazy, you still need some preload. 

I would also pull the forks up through the triples. The downside of this, is finding the balance points again, as you have modified the steering geometry. 

If she is just plunking on the trails, it should not be to much of a problem. 

The second best way is to lower seat height is to cut the seat foam and reupholster.

She would have been better from a fitment stand point to get a 1993-2002, as those are shorter suspension years.

Something to consider is advertising on your local CL to swap of suspension components from a 93-02, you will probably find several folks who will trade you straight up. 

Michael 

Edited by KTM520EXC
  • Like 1

Shock Specs on a 91, is 9.6", or 245mm of travel.

The ideal laden sag (rider on bike) is bike 30 to 34% with rider on bike. 

1993-2002 is 8.2", or 208mm of travel. 

Michael 

If you can find a shock out of a 1981 - 1983 model it will fit right up and lower the seat hight by about 20 - 25 mm. I have the same set up a 18" rear. It should be 17".

Some people install other shocks that make the bike look like a stink bug so check the length of yours; it should measures 13.5" center to center. 

The shock should have a 1 foot long hose for the remote reservoir, and a black compression clicker on the reservoir and a black rebound clicker is the lower clevis.

The rear can be lowered almost 1/2" by using the 84-85 XR200R/250R linkage. I lowered mine more by relocating the upper shock mount, there is enough clearance under the fender.