Sign in to follow this  

crf 250 good woods bike?

Yes, I've got a 12 with a stage 1 cam ,270 kit ,and a rekluse......... It rips. Good power, even at my elevation (Colorado) handles great, ( I put 22mm clamps on it to settle the front end down)

The only things I wish it had are a 6th gear and electric start.

Stock, not really. But can be made into a good woods bike. If you ride tight slow trails, it will get real hot in stock form.

You need to do some work to them to make them good for the woods. Gear down, heavy clutch, revalve suspension. I trail ride my 07 crf(set up for motocross) every now and then and my friends of their KTMS seem to be having much more fun then i do

I have an 06. At 185lbs I find the suspension to be super plush. Overly so in big natural whoops. Stock gearing is perfect. Heat is an issue and requires I pay attention. Power is a trade off. Compared to my 250t or 450 the bike is weak in loose sand. I wanted a bike that wouldn't tire me out and it's perfect for trail riding for me except for picky starting when hot.

If I

Good question. I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Either with a 14 or hopefully a 15 if the reviews are good. I worry about the overheating as well. But i would assume so long as your not bouncing off the rev limiter or just going really slow in first gear would it not be okay? At the tn. Round of the national enduro i talked to a guy that was racing a 13 crf 250 with only minor mods and he loved it. Looking at the results later and he did very good in his class. I would love it if honda would build a crf 300 or 350 x or even update the 250 but i guess until that day comes, modifying the 250r is the way to go if you want a competitive honda off road. I see that thad duvall in certain gncc races does very well on the 250.

As long as you can keep it cool. I would look at battery powered computer fans or something to help keep the coolant temp down when it gets slow and sticky.

I have an 06. At 185lbs I find the suspension to be super plush. Overly so in big natural whoops. Stock gearing is perfect. Heat is an issue and requires I pay attention. Power is a trade off. Compared to my 250t or 450 the bike is weak in loose sand. I wanted a bike that wouldn't tire me out and it's perfect for trail riding for me except for picky starting when hot.

If I

Your bike shouldn't be that soft in the woods if it's the all stock mx suspension. It's a bit older, so if the suspension oils haven't been changed in a while, or ever, having that done will make a big difference in the stiffness of the suspension and behavior of the bike. BUT, it might be best to just keep on riding it as-is as stiffer might not be better in this case. Just keep an eye out for leaking shock and or fork issues and rebuild them at the first sign of trouble. Edited by Eddie8v

I've checked fork oil and added 10cc. It was not in bad shape. The bike has low hours and lightly ridden when I bought it. Shock nitrogen could be low. I'm happy with it

in woods. Too soft for even my poor moto skills.

It's under sprung for my weight. Rider speed also determines suspension settings.

I don't want to add a fan and battery. The warmest I get the bike is ridding hard not slower. If I rode 1st gear goat trails much I'd pick a 2 stroke.

I may add some bigger radiators later.

I've checked fork oil and added 10cc. It was not in bad shape. The bike has low hours and lightly ridden when I bought it. Shock nitrogen could be low. I'm happy with it

in woods. Too soft for even my poor moto skills.

It's under sprung for my weight. Rider speed also determines suspension settings.

You need to change the inner damper oil, the outer oil has nothing to do with the damping, it just lubes and assists/sets in bottoming control. Change both the inner damper oils and other oil as well, trust me. Cheap and easy. AND you need to service the shock at the same time. Both the forks and shock could need a rebuild (new bushings, seals, oil, etc) as the bike is old. You will be amazed by the change! Edited by Eddie8v

I'm sure a rebuild would help some. Stiffer springs would as well. I'm very happy with the softer ride. My main point was many people are happy with stock mx bikes in woods. My stiffer bikes are only an issue at low speeds and even then not a big problem.

Heavily ridden off road areas get beat up more than almost any mx track. Only lacking big jumps.

I have a 2014 250 r and have raced it in the Alberta xc series all year. Love it! I have lots of bolt on mods, but the motor is in stock form and can lug down really low. I raced most of the year on stock susp an it worked good.

I have a 2014 250 r and have raced it in the Alberta xc series all year. Love it! I have lots of bolt on mods, but the motor is in stock form and can lug down really low. I raced most of the year on stock susp an it worked good.

What is your weight and rider classification?

I agree, I'm from colorado so I regularly experience tight, rocky, nasty sections all of which at 12k feet. While a 6th gear would be incredibly nice, I personally feel like this bike is great on the trails. That being said, I have a 250r so it wasn't designed for the trails obviously. I have lowered the gear ratio (49t rear over stock - i think) and it crawls like a bat out of hell. I have a lot of motor work done, but even stock one of the things I loved most about this bike was its ability to lug real low, and rev real high depending on the trail type. I have no problem keeping up with all of my buddys who ride purpose built trail bikes. In fact, most of the time they are trying to keep up with me!

Where do I find a schedule for these? I race aotmx but would love come watch you guys Edited by D4N63R

I m 175 lbs, and ride in 30 A class.

Check out Alberta Motorsports association (off-road section) website for schedule. Only 1 race left this year.

Yet to boil my 2015. 

I have never experienced overheating with any of my CRF250's (3 R models and 5 X models) all used for expert class offroad racing.