Sign in to follow this  

bmw f650 fuel in air box

Hi all, I have a problem with my 2000 bmw f650 funduro, the problem is that the air box is filling up with fuel. I recently emptied out and cleaned the air box and filter then turned the fuel on so it would fill up the carbs, it started on the button an I ran it for a few minutes with no problems at all. I then turned the fuel tap off and ran the bike until it ran out of fuel. I left the bike stood for a day with the tap off, and when I leant it over to the right fuel poured out of the air box breather hose. could this problem be as simple as float needle wear or is it something more sinister . Any help with this problem would be very much appreciated

Hi all, I have a problem with my 2000 bmw f650 funduro, the problem is that the air box is filling up with fuel. I recently emptied out and cleaned the air box and filter then turned the fuel on so it would fill up the carbs, it started on the button an I ran it for a few minutes with no problems at all. I then turned the fuel tap off and ran the bike until it ran out of fuel. I left the bike stood for a day with the tap off, and when I leant it over to the right fuel poured out of the air box breather hose. could this problem be as simple as float needle wear or is it something more sinister . Any help with this problem would be very much appreciated

After researching this problem elsewhere I came to the conclusion that I needed a carb repair kit x2. I source a comprehensive kit from "CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE COMPONENTS" at a cost of £25 each. After installing all jets, slide needles, float valves and O rings the problem remained until I replaced the float valve seat O rings with slightly larger ones. My bike and garage have now lost the smell of petrol and not one drip has emerged from the overflow pipes.

• Like 1