Sign in to follow this  

Air filter cleaning / oiling

Howdy, my question is: what will overloading your foam filter with foam filter oil do to your bike? How much / what damage? I mean like 3 or 4 times the proper amount.

I took out my air filter after 5000km to give er a clean and a re oiling. This is the first time doing this process for me so heres what I did:

Bike kind: 2014 drz400sm 5000km

Took the foam filter out, soaked it in degreaser, squeezing the degreaser in and out a couple times (10 mins) ---> then filled a bucket with warm soapy water and did the same, squeezing the water through I did this tons of times (15 mins) ---> then I hung up the filter outside in the sun with a fan blowing on it untill it was completely dry. --> once dry (1.5 hrs) I put it in a big Iip lock bag and poured in suzukis air foam filter oil. Massaging it through and putting more then massaging it ect ect...

After taking it out I realized it was SOAKED and I rung it out till it seemed good. After 2 days of riding I checked how it looked and I saw a dark blue all around the bottom of the filter. So I took it out and realized it was dripping wet with the oil still.. I rung it out really good this time, squeezing multiple times with paper towels until It was good. I also wiped away all the oil that was on the walls of the box where the filter goes.. and cleaned out the whole area there.

Plasters your valve stems and creates hard carbon, this carbon build up, creates weight on the underside of valve face, adds weight to the valve, valve breaks in half under duress, and motor blows up. 

• Like 1

Dont wash it with degreaser or petrol it will break down the foam (bigger holes, poorer filtering)

I use turps, some use kerosine, im sure ill be corrected if im wrong !

• Like 2

Plasters your valve stems and creates hard carbon, this carbon build up, creates weight on the underside of valve face, adds weight to the valve, valve breaks in half under duress, and motor blows up.

Dont wash it with degreaser or petrol it will break down the foam (bigger holes, poorer filtering)

I use turps, some use kerosine, im sure ill be corrected if im wrong !

I will try one of those next time thanks for telling me :)

Hey Spud great explanation and info you posted there thanks so much really appreciate it! Sounds like sketchy bussiness I hope my motor doesnt blow up lol :huh: what would the likelihood of me have done some serious threats to mine? I rode a total of maybe 80km with the filter being pretty soaked..

Maybe some fuel injector cleaner/carb cleaner will aide with any deposits, maybe you don't have any deposits, that was just worse case.

• Like 2