Plastic vs aluminum skid plate

Me on a crf250r and my buddy on a 250x have both been running an acerbic plastic for a couple of years. Was always a little worried since our bikes have really exposed water pumps (right side) and oil filters/magneto covers (left side).

Pros....

- easy to take on/off (one screw) to do oil changes

- seems to slide nicely over logs.

- held up pretty well. got some huge gouges but never a crack or break.

We've been progressively riding tighter, nastier (super rocky) single track in fairly remote area's. my bud recently crack his magneto cover badly (long story).

We both just bought aluminum ones.

I think having a plastic one may have effected slightly how I approached a trail or section but I know feel I have one less thing to think about and just give it.

• Like 1

There are different types of plastic skidplate material. The expensive ones are HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) and are in many ways superior to aluminum.

The allow the frame to flex as it was engineered to do, slides over rocks instead of hanging up like aluminum, it's about half the weight and is much quieter.

I have the Moose Pro and at $160 it's almost twice as expensive as an aluminum plate but has held up great for the two years of hard enduro-type riding I have done with it. I splat at least a few big rocks every time I ride.

Think of it this way: way back when they used to make hardhats out of aluminum. Now they are made from HDPE.

• Like 1

I have the Acerbis skid and have no issues with it, I have put it through the ringer a few times and it holds up to everything, rock, sticks etc

i wouldn't ever run a alum skid.  I had one on my last KTM and it was very loud if you hit it, the plastic is much softer

Edited by nickbaldwin86

I will never run an aluminum plate again compared to the poly that came on my KTM anything out of aluminum blows.  For one the ploy plates are made out of the same poly that whitewater kayaks are made out of, not the cheap plastic that body plastics are.  And I can tell you from experience, a whitewater kayak will take more direct hits to rocks in one class V run than a dirt bike will in several lifetimes.  So get a poly plate you will not be disappointed. 

I have received excellent protection from my LightSpeed carbon fiber skid plate in the woods.  It has taken many hard hits from rocks the size of golf balls to bowling balls and has never allowed any damage to my engine or frame.  Something to consider.

Just last weeked my mysteriously ended up upside down on a hill.

The right side case protector/skid plate augered in to the ground and I had a bunch of dirt in there that it scooped up as my bike slid down the hill a bit.

I wonder how a plastic and/or carbon fiber plate would've handled that.

That's a serious thought, not a slam.