Sign in to follow this  

2014 Ktm 500 exc .. What do I need?

Need some help on what to get to turn my 500 into a sm.

Not doing track just road.

I'm ordering excel rims with the talon hubs

need to know what the best rotor/size to get??

as well what is the best gearing??

Any other input on parts would be great.

Thanks

I havnt finished mine yet but this is what I got

3.5 inch front, 5 inch rear from a local wheel builder

14/45 sprockets and a rk gold non o ring race chain for extra clearance

320mm rotor with adapter, these were cut locally

Kick stand from a fs570 motard

Front and back crash sliders

Magnet for disc

Bolts for the front and rear rotors

Bolts for the rear sprocket

Loctite

Havnt found a front fender for the 2014, looks like you either have to cut the stock one or buy a Sm front fender and make a L bracket so you can bolt it up as the stock headlight on the 14 is a weird shape. I think that's about it.

From what I've read 14/48 should be able to reach 100mi/160km per hour but I decided to go a smaller rear just to be safe.

Edited by Romie

Magnet for disc

Loctite

Havnt found a front fender for the 2014, looks like you either have to cut the stock one or buy a Sm front fender and make a L bracket so you can bolt it up as the stock headlight on the 14 is a weird shape. I think that's about it.

From what I've read 14/48 should be able to reach 100mi/160km per hour but I decided to go a smaller rear just to be safe.

Magnet for disc

Loctite

Magnet for disc

Loctite

What rotor did you use I can't find any 320 that would fit.

How well does the smaller sproket work?

Thanks for the info

What rotor did you use I can't find any 320 that would fit.

How well does the smaller sproket work?

Thanks for the info

Mine was bought locally in Australia, they are cut by a local company. http://www.geinhart.com/ I will probably have to grind a MM off the adapter on one section to stop the disc hitting the adapter. I think motomaster make a 320mm brake kit with adapter, check out motostrano.com, you can also buy a 310/320mm disc + adapter from KTM but in australia its very expensive. You could also check out warp9 if you want something cheap. If youre buying the wheels new the company should be able to provide you a disc.

With the sprockets people say 14/48 will do 100mph but like always the speedo probably isnt 100% accurate and would be out so the smaller rear sprocket will give more top speed but less acceleration. I want my bike to be able to easily cruise at 110km/hr so I thought it be safer to go 14/45. I havnt finished the conversion so I cant say if thats a good combo or not, for me it was between 14/45 and 14/48

Edited by Romie

My 14 has the stock gearing and coming from a wr450f, the stock gearing feels great to me. Still clutch up wheelies in 4th :ride:

I just ordered the EBC 320 rotor kit from Motostrano so thursday we will see how it fits.

Youll need to either cut your for guards or buy the previous style guards. Also, youll need to cut your kick stand.

I just fitted a SMC style fender to mine but ill be changing it when one that is made for this style comes out.