Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Inside Stock Honda Air Filter

I put a UNI air filter on my brand new 2009 CRF230 back in early 2010.  I put the original unused air filter in a plastic zip lock bag just in case I needed a fast spare.  My buddy bought a 2004 CRF150 and 2004 CRF230 back in 2010.  The CRF150 came with a UNI air filter and the CRF230 had a factory air cleaner.  The air filter on the 2004 CRF230 was falling apart so I tossed it and and took the UNI air filter off the CRF150, serviced it, and installed it on the CRF230.  I put my brand new CRF230 air filter on the CRF150.

The CRF150 hasn't had an awful lot of use since then so we didn't do anything but change the oil and check the air filter occasionally.  The air filter was never really dirty so we always left it alone.  Yesterday I figured I'd service the air filter.  It looked pretty darn clean but I took it off and cleaned it anyhow.  Upon close inspection there was a lot of dirt on the inside of the filter surfaces.  This was a brand new, never-used factory Honda air filter.  It was extremely tacky when I installed it and it was still extremely tacky when I took it off so I know the oil was just fine.  When I installed it it had plenty of grease around the sealing surface and I even added a bit more just to be safe.  It was securely in place in the airbox and the cage nipples were fully engaged in the flange.

So what gives here?  I have never seen dirt on the inside of any of our UNI air filters when we service them.  Has anybody else encountered such an issue?

Pretty darn scary if you ask me.

Just goes to show that when picking up a used bike, car, truck, lawn mower, boat engine, etc.

Go through everything yourself.

Never assume (I always say guess) that it should be ok because it was:

New,

Just serviced,

Should have been ok,

The guy I just bought it from said that was done a week ago.

I read all of the previous owner receipts, it said that they did that work at the shop....they charge him for it, so it must have been done?

Etc. etc. etc. etc.