XR650R carb is spewing gas from the overflow tube

so, after fueling up the pig and was just about to jump on it, I saw a fairly large pool of gas under it. After I made sure it was just coming from the overflow tube, I brought it come to troubleshoot. 

When I shut off the petcock no fuel spews out, when the bike is rested for a while and open the petcock it barely spews any gas, but after I ride it and it get at operating temperature, the bike spews a lot of fuel when stopped.  At any case, the fuel comes out the overflow tube. 

Any advise?

thanks

looks like I fixed it, took the float chamber out and cleaned it up well as well as the float and spayed some carb cleaner inside. Put everything back together, test-rode it, and no more fuel spewing out the over-flow.

So, it looks like dirt got in there and it was preventing the float to rise and cut of the fuel supply. Any ideas for a fuel filter? I ordered a KN fuel filter coupe months ago, but this thing is very big for that little space in the fuel hose after the petcock. Anyone installed a fuel filter on the BRP?

thanks

I don't use a fuel filter. I think the leak factor and room limitations are too much of a risk.   Keep your tank clean and don't worry

It looks like that only with an aftermarket carb is possible, not easy, to fit a filter in the fuel line.

I see what you are saying and I do keep the tank clean, but how the hell dirt got in the carb if there is also a fuel filter in the petcock? I got the 2005 BRP, so I believe mine does have that fuel filter in the petcock, unless it is busted. 

I think there is also a fuel filter right above the float needle inside the carb  ?

Usually if that happens it's enough to drain the carb and open the petcock again, maybe hit a carb a few times

If the bike was standing for some time depending on gas quality it could leave some dirt when dried out

I had leakage too, but the float level was too high. It took three tries of taking the carb out to get the level right. There is a screen in the petcock, but I put a filter on mine anyway. You just have to use about 8 inches of 5/16" fuel line. Put the filter in the middle, and make a loop going forward and back down to the carb nipple.

I had leakage too, but the float level was too high. It took three tries of taking the carb out to get the level right. There is a screen in the petcock, but I put a filter on mine anyway. You just have to use about 8 inches of 5/16" fuel line. Put the filter in the middle, and make a loop going forward and back down to the carb nipple.

did you get the oem fuel line or something from car parts shop?

if you are going to replace any fuel line, get it from the Honda shop.  American fuel line is not the right size, and hose clamps wont help.  If the line is the proper metric size, clamps are not needed for non pressure applications.

here is a list of fuel filters I found online. I should be able to place one in the line. 

http://www.jetsrus.com/parts/fuel_filters.html

Edited by enoxos

I think there is also a fuel filter right above the float needle inside the carb  ?

Usually if that happens it's enough to drain the carb and open the petcock again, maybe hit a carb a few times

If the bike was standing for some time depending on gas quality it could leave some dirt when dried out

yes, there is a screen inside the tank on the petcock. Mine is probably no good since dirt passed in the carb. 

You are right about 8mm and 5/16" being very close to the same size.  You need to measure the petcock and carb nipple to be sure.  American hose will not fit well on a 7MM barb, or 6mm, as is the case on my 600.  Same goes for vacuum hoses and drain hoses as they are often 3mm and 5mm of which there is no Yankee equivalent.

Fuel hose

Honda car or bike dealer same stuff and part number.  They have to buy it in bulk of quantities of 1 meter to 8 meters.  It is black, just exactly what they used from the factory.  I use so much of the 5.5 meter stuff  here I buy a roll myself.  One meter is 39 1/2"    They may sell it by the foot or meter, depending on how they enter it in their system, probably meter though..

95001-35008-10m  3.5mmx8000  Vacuum line

95001-45001-50m  4.5mmx1000  Fuel

95001-55008-50m  5.5mmx8000  Fuel

95001-75003-50m  7.5mmx3000  Fuel