Sign in to follow this  

buzzing in certain rpm band

Hey guys, I am a brand new rider and decided to buy myself a 2007 drz400sm. It has 65xx miles. When riding it around today I noticed that there is a certain rpm range where there is a metallic buzzing/ringing sound. If I let my rpms drop or continue to climb, the sound eventually goes away. It sounds like it is coming from the engine. It happens in any gear and only in the mid to high rpm range. I am a total noob and am just wondering if you guys had any ideas what this could be. Thanks for all the help!

Edited by philiprweb

Check your gas cap lock. Mine used to vibrate. Also check your clutch lever. Sometimes at high rpms it will vibrate if it is loose. Honestly, check all your nuts and bolts that hold pieces on. If it's not anything external, then look into the motor.

I have a 05 s model 62,000kms, its had a buzzy kind of noise at around 97kph from new, i just ride either side of that speed. Ive heard from some its air box resonance ? It used to bother me but with 62000 kms it cant be hurting it

Also check your clutch lever. Sometimes at high rpms it will vibrate if it is loose.

+1 on this. Mine the bolt is tight, but it's getting sloppy in the perch, I'm going to take it apart and tighten it up some, maybe add some thin teflon washers, as the ringing / buzzing noise drives me nuts.

I checked and made sure both are tight but is is till making the sound. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I checked and made sure both are tight but is is till making the sound. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Mine is tight too, but it still buzzes. Start placing your hands on things to see if you can change the noise. Anything loose on the exhaust, like the heat sheild?