what should I buy 2013 yz450 or wr450 for Desert rider

Im an Ex novice desert racer and go to the sand dunes religiously ( glamis , dumont ) . Im going to buy a brand new bike for once in my life , what bike should I go with I love single track in the mountains and open desert Barstow whoops and of course the sand , both bikes can be tuned ( suspension, steering damper , ect ) but the wr is going to have the best gear ratios in the trans but the yz has the most power for the engine, what should I go with?

Edited by DTM Industries

If you spend more time at speed (desert) than slower (single track) I would go with the YZ. The power and suspension will be better on the YZ in the fast stuff.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

Last year I was in your shoes. Could not decide on what bike to buy. I was lucky enough to find someone I knew that just bought the yz. So I rode in in my local single track from hesperia up to big bear. The bike overheated 5 times. The new wrap around exaust keeps a lot of the heat around the motor. I ended up going to b&b cycles the next day and bought the 14 WR it took about 1,500 hundred bucks to get it where I wanted it. But it's perfect just uncork it have zip tye racing do your suspension. It's the same forks as the YZ just valved softer. I had them do my suspension. I did the fmf powercore, fmf powerbomb, and I run the fmf map on the ecu. My bike rips. And the extra weight the WR has actually help hold a line at 80 MPH through Johnson valley whoops.

• Like 1

@Jonesy11- I would like to try out your WR. The WR I was on was stock. I did noticed how corked up it appeared. I bet it would rip with some aftermarket work.

Are you local to the high desert. Ya the WR in stock form sucks big time. Bought my wife a 14 ttr230 the same day I bought my WR. In stock form they were equal in power. Pretty rediculous what they gotta do to get a green sticker from the EPA. But now I'm equal to my buddies 13 kx450

• 2 weeks later...
Last year I was in your shoes. Could not decide on what bo buy. I was lucky enough to find suote]
Last year I was in your shoes. Could not decide on what bike to buy. I was lucky enough to find someone I knew that just bought the yz. So I rode in in my local single track from hesperia up to big bear. The bike overheated 5 times. The new wrap around exaust keeps a lot of the heat around the motor. I ended up going to b&b cycles the next day and bought the 14 WR it took about 1,500 hundred bucks to get it where I wanted it. But it's perfect just uncork it have zip tye racing do your suspension. It's the same forks as the YZ just valved softer. I had them do my suspension. I did the fmf powercore, fmf powerbomb, and I run the fmf map on the ecu. My bike rips. And the extra weight the WR has actually help hold a line at 80 MPH through Johnson valley whoops.

So would one say that the WR450 with programming , exshust , CARB crap removed it will have a close HP as the YZ450 ( granted its a totally different engine but similar internal engine cam , crank , piston , ect ) will the WR rip the dunes and the open desert?

ame="Jonesy11" post="11840727" timestamp="1408920378"]Last year I was in your shoes. Could not decide on what bo buy. I was lucky enough to find suote]

So would one say that the WR450 with programming , exshust , CARB crap removed it will have a close HP as the YZ450 ( granted its a totally different engine but similar internal engine cam , crank , piston , ect ) will the WR rip the dunes and the open desert?

Same horspower as a 09 yz450 but the 14 yz motor is more powerful then what you will be able to get out of the WR. Not always about HP tractability is key

Old technology. No fuel injection. It's nice to programe the ecu to different terrain.

A well tuned FCR carb works as well as any currently marketed FI bike...current FI systems on bikes are very primitive and can't do much in the way of adjusting the fuel curve except with what it thinks the motor is doing. It has no way of reading what the motor is actually doing, so performance wise it's a wash.

A well tuned FCR carb works as well as any currently marketed FI bike...current FI systems on bikes are very primitive and can't do much in the way of adjusting the fuel curve except with what it thinks the motor is doing. It has no way of reading what the motor is actually doing, so performance wise it's a wash.

It doesn't adjust for fuel on the fly but I can hook up my gytr tuner. Adjust fuel,ignition. And see if there are any codes being thrown. Proper FCR jetted can't do any of that. If it rains I can map it for the rain ect.

Same horspower as a 09 yz450 but the 14 yz motor is more powerful then what you will be able to get out of the WR. Not always about HP tractability is key

I like the fact that I can have the same HP out put as the 2009 ( cause its the same engine just fuel injected ) I have the 06 now and I know they dint change to much on the engine mostly framework , I love the fact that the 2010+ yz450 are wicked fast and overall have better suspension, engine and frame design but the new WR450 just give me a good vibe on reliability , and overall bike set up, iv been trying to turn a Yz450 into WR for years and the only think iv been missing was the gear box ( why cant yamaha just make YZ450W like ktm has the xc-w ) It would just fit the bill perfect.

Edited by DTM Industries

It doesn't adjust for fuel on the fly but I can hook up my gytr tuner. Adjust fuel,ignition. And see if there are any codes being thrown. Proper FCR jetted can't do any of that. If it rains I can map it for the rain ect.

And all of that doesn't make it run any better than the carbed bike. And that ecu on the bike doesn't do much in the way of codes, so again, it doesn't do shit the carb doesn't do. It's interesting you say you can tune it for the rain. My bike runs well in the heat, the dry, the rain and the cold. And I don't need to hook it up to anything except a rider. The carb vs FI on bike in their current setup is a moot point. The carbs have evolved and are working now better than they ever have with little problems, the FI is still in its dinosaur age and is plagued with problems. I will admit that the benefits of FI will out weight the carb in years to come, but they have a lot of R&D before it gets there. Another thing to think about when considering a desert bike is being able to limp home. You have a problem with the carb 99% of the time you can get back home. Your bike might not run well, but at least it will run. You have a problem with the FI...I hope you are close to home because there is no limping it home.

And without hooking that bike up to a sniffer, your maps that you are putting in are no better than me changing jets the old school way...so again, which is better?

Edited by MrRong

And all of that doesn't make it run any better than the carbed bike. And that ecu on the bike doesn't do much in the way of codes, so again, it doesn't do shit the carb doesn't do. It's interesting you say you can tune it for the rain. My bike runs well in the heat, the dry, the rain and the cold. And I don't need to hook it up to anything except a rider. The carb vs FI on bike in their current setup is a moot point. The carbs have evolved and are working now better than they ever have with little problems, the FI is still in its dinosaur age and is plagued with problems. I will admit that the benefits of FI will out weight the carb in years to come, but they have a lot of R&D before it gets there. Another thing to think about when considering a desert bike is being able to limp home. You have a problem with the carb 99% of the time you can get back home. Your bike might not run well, but at least it will run. You have a problem with the FI...I hope you are close to home because there is no limping it home.

Do you ride here in southern California. The tuner is not for wind rain ect. Slippery conditions I take ignition out and when its perfect like chocolate cake I can at + 3 in all my ignition and down low she hits hard all the way to top end. And no limping here I got insurance and almost 80 hrs maybe just leave her there and call insurance. And do you know about the tuner on other sections here on TT guys have had codes for ignition coil going bad. I have not had a code yet so I dunno but if I couldn't get codes as you say. Then why when someone's check engine light comes on they see a code in the tuner.

Edited by Jonesy11

I have 4 maps that were done on dyno with sniffer. I'm not some kid on here giving advice. Right now my rear tire is almost a slick so yesterday I put the slippery map in makes a big difference then the other 3 maps I have. I don't see you going from 2,000 ft elevation to 5,000 with the FCR without re jetting. But I can

I have 4 maps that were done on dyno with sniffer. I'm not some kid on here giving advice. Right now my rear tire is almost a slick so yesterday I put the slippery map in makes a big difference then the other 3 maps I have. I don't see you going from 2,000 ft elevation to 5,000 with the FCR without re jetting. But I can

I do it every yr in Colorado...works fine