Sign in to follow this  

Crf450r play in crank

Hey guys I just tore my bike apart to put a new piston and rings in it and found that I can move the rod slightly from left to right but not up and down, is this normal? I'm not sure how many hours are on the bike. Its a 2006.

A little, and I mean a little side to side play is fairly common. The main thing you would look for is up and down play of the rod. Simple to check for, bring crank to TDC hold it really still and pull up and down a little bit on the rod. You should feel any movement. If you're riding woods and more slow speed that crank should last 200-300 hours.. If you're riding mx it's cheap insurance to replace it around 140-150 hours.

A little side to side play is normal, check the conrod big end side clearances, service limit is 0.6mm

OK I checked for up and down play already and didn't feel any but I'll check again just to make sure. I do mostly woods riding but I know it was raced before I had it. OK which side is that on and how do you check it?

the only way to accurately asses a lower rod bearing is to take the crank apart.

at that point you might as well rebuild it.

side to side means nothing and if it had up and down that you could feel it would knock so bad you wouldn't be able to ride it.