sx 250 keeps going through plugs

hey fellas,

new to the forum here so here the situation. Got a 2010 sx 250. Ive gone through 2 plugs almost everytime I ride I go through a plug up until this point I had the same plug for 12 rides and this never happened. Basically what happens is ill put a new plug in and it will start first kick and I can go ride. then the next time I ride i start it let it warm up then it bogs and dies and wont run. Drop a new plug in and then it starts again. I did notice however when it wont start that im seeing oil going out of the pipe from the head my guess is its just unburned fuel spewing out.

running my bike 50:1 amsoil

clean filter

any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Would it really be fuel though the plug is wet when i take it out. Is there a way too test the coil or ignition to see if its working properly i was told that if the reeds were cracked that wouldnt of been running like crap. Also i want to point out when i put a new plug in and go riding it runs awesome its just after a good ride the next time i ride it a few days later or a week later it starts idles then dies during warm up

You have 50:1 oil so it has to be too rich for it to foul.

First off, the warm up. Letting it idle with the choke on? Don't.

Start it up only when you want to move and move gently within 30 seconds of starting. Idling on choke is bad.

Choke on, start, move off calmly, 2 minutes max, choke off, drive easy for 5 minutes.

Some bikes in warm weather can have the choke off as soon as started but I'd venture the pilot is too rich.

Which brings up a question about your jetting. Is it, especially the pilot and needle, too rich.

Another issue is the clutch side crank seal, could it be leaking?

Put the crank vent line in a glass of water while the engine idles and see if it bubbles or draws water.

Steve Best

Stock jetting is for about 2000' at about 70°. If you are not riding at 2000' and/or it is not 70° you need to change your jetting, ALL YOUR JETS.

Here is the jetting chart for your bike..Buy some jets and needles. You will be much happier with your bike when it is jetted correctly for your temperature and elevation.

0910KTM250SXJettingChart_zpsb58463a8.jpg

You have 50:1 oil so it has to be too rich for it to foul.

First off, the warm up. Letting it idle with the choke on? Don't.

Start it up only when you want to move and move gently within 30 seconds of starting. Idling on choke is bad.

Choke on, start, move off calmly, 2 minutes max, choke off, drive easy for 5 minutes.

Some bikes in warm weather can have the choke off as soon as started but I'd venture the pilot is too rich.

Which brings up a question about your jetting. Is it, especially the pilot and needle, too rich.

Another issue is the clutch side crank seal, could it be leaking?

Put the crank vent line in a glass of water while the engine idles and see if it bubbles or draws water.

Steve Best

hey Steve I usually only use the choke when starting it as soon as it starts i shut it right off. I then let it idle on its own the give it revs then start off the riding slow until completely warm.

Thanks guys ill give the jetting a try however despite it running great since i bought it a few months back and previous owner not having an issue would jetting still be affected. Sorry for all the questions

What kind of muffler do you have? If it has a screen end cap, check the screen to see if its stopped up.

pc shorty with platinum 2

OK this happened to me..  Almost exactly as you describe.. No amount of jetting and monking helped.  Finally I installed a NEW ignition module.  Problem solved.

thanks zilla figured it had something to do with the coil or ignition. Did u need a new spark plug after as well and how much did the new ignition cost u

Thanks guys unfortunately I could not track down a module from anyone I know but I started to check other components and found that my reed is crack now im not sure whats causing problems the dealer wants 288 for a module either way I know I need a new reed what do u guys think

My xc 250 startted running bad.  It would hardly run.   I have a V Force 3 reed one was 3/4 gone and another had a chip like yours.  Ordered new petals on

Amazon for $59, they should be here tommrow.  the big piece was in two pieces on top of my piston when I took the head off to inspect.  If I had to do over, I would get a whole new Boyzeen cage for $150..  I have no faith in V Force anymore.  I have been seeing bad stories after doing some forum lurking.