Sign in to follow this  

DRZ/KLX 400 Off road only bike!

Ok, back story, I picked up a 03 klx400 with 9000km on it, kick start kit, non-DOT knobbies, I got it for a great price and I'm stoked about this bike!!! I also recently picked up a 2014 klx250 for commutting and local stealth dual sporting. I am in the process of converting the klx400 into an off road only bike, bare bones, minimal weight.

So far I've done;

Removed rear pegs, chopped subframe at cross member, removed blinkers/tailight, clutch and kick stand switch deleted, removed the keyed ingnition for an on/off switch, bar risers and handguards.

Things I want to do;

I want to remove the headlight and gauge display. I want to run 2 flood lights mounted on the bars or outside the front fender and use a number plate up front. I want the lights on or off(no day time running lights) I still want a nuetral light because I plan on running a rekluse. I'll probably mount a LED indicator light for neutral.

Things I'm thinking of....

Should I remove the fan?? This will be trail only, no sitting in traffic, maybe mount a temp. Warning light as well??

Still debating on removing the e start, it's soo nice, what would the weight savings removing the starter and battery??

Is there any other mods I should consider??

Cheers

Keep the rad fan.

You never know when you might need it.

The front headlight is big and heavy. Ditch that.

Get a good skid plate. Hand guards with triple clamp mounts are a must. Case savers are a good idea as well.

:( if only the Cutting down of the subframe was a "to do", i would have offered a straight up swap for my drz400e subframe with me paying both shippings >.>

:( if only the Cutting down of the subframe was a "to do", i would have offered a straight up swap for my drz400e subframe with me paying both shippings >.>

Yah, sorry, I know the pain of looking for parts, I went through the same thing with a cr250 sub frame, ended up getting a fabricator to mod and repair my own...

Speaking of subframe....30 seconds with sawzall, 1 min with file to clean up, 1/2 pound lighter!!

A8614646-A6E6-4D27-B5ED-6060EDB0B379.jpg

Cases after 3 flops yesterday, case guards are a must!!

00067AD8-5A37-4FBE-9802-802D201881A6.jpg

Edited by matty86suk

Do a search for "wiring elimination" and you'll find some of my old threads. Lots of good info in those from Noble and some of the other guys on this forum, really helped me out. Do a google search for Matt Nelson's post on 4strokes.com. Lots of good info about making the DRZ more dirt friendly.

Ok, back story, I picked up a 03 klx400 with 9000km on it, kick start kit, non-DOT knobbies, I got it for a great price and I'm stoked about this bike!!! I also recently picked up a 2014 klx250 for commutting and local stealth dual sporting. I am in the process of converting the klx400 into an off road only bike, bare bones, minimal weight.

So far I've done;

Removed rear pegs, chopped subframe at cross member, removed blinkers/tailight, clutch and kick stand switch deleted, removed the keyed ingnition for an on/off switch, bar risers and handguards.

Things I want to do;

I want to remove the headlight and gauge display. I want to run 2 flood lights mounted on the bars or outside the front fender and use a number plate up front. I want the lights on or off(no day time running lights) I still want a nuetral light because I plan on running a rekluse. I'll probably mount a LED indicator light for neutral.

Things I'm thinking of....

Should I remove the fan?? This will be trail only, no sitting in traffic, maybe mount a temp. Warning light as well??

Still debating on removing the e start, it's soo nice, what would the weight savings removing the starter and battery??

Is there any other mods I should consider??

Cheers

I have two led bars on mine where the headlight used to be. They're bright, and I like them. They don't weigh any less than the stock headlight, and the stock headlight's location is THE BEST PLACE to put a light on the bike. If you mount them on the sides of the fork, they'll get torn off. AMHIK. 

you'll save the 4 lbs by removing the starter, and miss it every time you need to clear a flood. i mean MISS IT. 

the fan will be something you want in gnarly fun single track. 

there is no way to make a light drz, or a drz light. 

Yah, the Internet is telling me making the drz light weight is an exercise in futility. I'll just be weight wise, take off what I can, I think I will keep the e start but the light is going for sure, bars are heavy with the light and guards(and everything else)

I could remove the horn, but I like the horn, I honk at wildlife and when I need to lighten the mood.

The stock 3.2 gallon steel tank is a pig, a 2 gallon plastic tank might save some weight.

Should the drz power wheelie in 1st or second? mine doesn't, I need to clutch up, I'm still using the 15/44 sprokets, I'm gonna eventually go 14/47...and a rekluse.

KEEP YOUR FAN! My E model does not have one and am considering getting a fan for it.

Forget the warning light, you'll know it's getting hot cause after a couple minutes of going really slow it'll blow boiling antifreeze out the bottom.  It's not bad for the bike for this to happen, it just means it needs to cool down and have distilled water added.

If you want a light bike, the DRZ is not the bike to have.  Really though it rides very good and it tractors over everything, just ride it and you'll get used to the weight.  I've ridden my friend's CRF 230 and have determined that weight is not really that big of a deal when just trail riding.  The biggest thing is just developing your skills.  Off-road riding is hard, at least I think so, and messing with your technique is much more worth the time than messing with the bike.

My bike power wheelies in first and second if you're in a neutral riding position, it won't do it offroad, just does a burn out.  Sometimes it'll do a burn out onroad too. :o I have the stock E gearing, 14/47.

My opinion is just leave it as is.  In the motorcycle world, the DRZ is a mere John Deere tractor, keep the oil changed and the parts greased and just use it till it's had enough.  Now, you wouldn't take the lights or electric start off your John Deere, would you?