Sign in to follow this  

1967-1979 ford truck

best truck ford ever made. I have had my 1978 since 1997. Still going strong on origiinal motor.  There are alot of parts availble to restore.

best truck ford ever made. I have had my 1978 since 1997. Still going strong on origiinal motor.  There are alot of parts availble to restore.

My dad's had his '79 since he bought it his senior year...in '79. He loves to ride my boys around in it, and as long as we can keep her running, I hope one of them gets to drive it to high school, too.

Ya this will be my first car/project just don't want to find one with a lot of rust. My only requirement is a v8 nothing else really matters to me ac, power steering, and power brakes is a plus if it already has it but if it doesn't it will all be added later.

My friend had a gaggle ofthem throughout high school. One was more memorable than the others, short bed, two wheel drive and three on the tree... That truck was a hell of a lot of fun to drive!

Ya what I'm hoping to find is a 67-72 short bed with a 390

That'd be cool.

My dad's 79 has a 351M. It's a dog. Stay away from anything with a 351M unless you're willing to do a motor swap.

• Like 1

Get a 79 with a 460 and a four speed, that one will sure go haha

ya I would love a 460 but gas is an issue with that one but the main reason I'm looking at 67-72 is because that's before emissions ruined everything.

That'd be cool.

My dad's 79 has a 351M. It's a dog. Stay away from anything with a 351M unless you're willing to do a motor swap.

Ya everyone considers every v8 after 73 except for the 460 as underpowered

ya I would love a 460 but gas is an issue with that one but the main reason I'm looking at 67-72 is because that's before emissions ruined everything.

I know a guy with a 79 with a 460 and it turns 37" like they're 14"s and is a monster on the road.

Terrible mileage, unreal power. I too wish I could get a 460, good luck in your 70s ford hunt. My favorite truck ever is the 73-79 fords

Best fuel mileage is 302 V8, but expect to pay a premium for an early 302/auto/power steering truck, very popular. My 68 F100 has a 300 6 cylinder, strong puller, but 302 still beats it for fuel mileage. Well tuned and equipped, no major difference in fuel mileage between the 390 and 460, the 460 is a much more modern design. A lot depends on transmission, gear ratios and how you like to drive. Hope that helps!

Best fuel mileage is 302 V8, but expect to pay a premium for an early 302/auto/power steering truck, very popular. My 68 F100 has a 300 6 cylinder, strong puller, but 302 still beats it for fuel mileage. Well tuned and equipped, no major difference in fuel mileage between the 390 and 460, the 460 is a much more modern design. A lot depends on transmission, gear ratios and how you like to drive. Hope that helps!

ya I know to expect at best 15mpg on a lot of these engines and 302s are really hard to find around me I see a lot of 360s a few 390s and 1 or 2 302s from time to time.

You won't get 15 mpg out of these motors. 

You'll get 8. People will tell you better but for some strange reason, these people are lying. I've had a ton of old trucks, you won't see better then 10 for sure. 15 is the real world mileage of what new trucks get. 

If fuel mileage is an issue, get a newer vehicle. The emmisions stuff sucks but trucks didn't start to see better mileage until the mid to late 90's (vortec powered chevs and triton fords). Not even the newer fuel injected 302's seen 15 mpg. 

You'll get 8. People will tell you better but for some strange reason, these people are lying. I've had a ton of old trucks, you won't see better then 10 for sure. 15 is the real world mileage of what new trucks get. 

If fuel mileage is an issue, get a newer vehicle. The emmisions stuff sucks but trucks didn't start to see better mileage until the mid to late 90's (vortec powered chevs and triton fords). Not even the newer fuel injected 302's seen 15 mpg.

no fuel mileage isn't an issue if it was I would be getting a ranger or something but everything I need is in a half mile radius. Going to the track is the longest distance I'll go.

My experience is different.

Sure you're measuring correctly?

We've only broke the 15mpg combined mark in V8 pickups in the last 5 or so years.

• Like 1

Unless you have an LS swap tuned and running perfect with some tall gears, I don't believe you.

I've owned far too many trucks to believe everyone's claims. If there's any two things guys love to lie about, it's the size of their junk and the fuel mileage of whatever they drive.