Sign in to follow this  

Convince dad to let me upgrade?

Well I bought most of my old bike myself, (he helped $200 for my birthday back in July) and I'm kindof bored with it now.. It's my old TT-R230.. I use his/my bike (250f) but he won't let me do anything or mod it... I'm seriously wanting one of these three, KX250F, YZ250, or a KTM 250 exc. and yes I know theyre all completely different bikes. But I can handle the power of a 250f fine and even IT is kind of too predictable... So I'm really looking for one of those 250 2 strokes. If I sell my TTR for $1500 then make another 1-2k till next year, that'd leave me with $2500-3500. I'd be looking for an 03-06ish bike, which should leave me enough. I mean id find the bike thats the cleanest and best running/taken care of post 2003. But how can I convince my dad to let me upgrade next year? My main reason is my friend has an XR100 and next spring hes upgrading to a 2011 CR125 so I can't let him beat me in races now :) hahaha. Also I'd really like th extra power and suspension because I have big jumps where you land on flat ground which makes my TTR's suspension hit and I'm afraid of wrecking my dads bike because if I did he'd kill me. So i just seriously need to convince him...

Edited by YZF_MX_rider

Is your friend getting a Husky?

How old are you?  If you are buying your own bike, what is your dad concerned with?  Respect and tact go a long way with parents.

Is your friend getting a Husky?

How old are you? If you are buying your own bike, what is your dad concerned with? Respect and tact go a long way with parents.

i just said hes getting a CR125 and just check my bio, im 16. And yes I would be buying my own bike... Read a little bit would ya?

i just said hes getting a CR125 and just check my bio, im 16. And yes I would be buying my own bike... Read a little bit would ya?

Has to be a Husky since Honda no longer makes a 2 stroke. You could have actually answered the question.

If you speak to your father the way you spoke to KcDavis I can see why he isn't discussing it with you. Learn some tact young man....

• Like 6

Has to be a Husky since Honda no longer makes a 2 stroke. You could have actually answered the question.

If you speak to your father the way you spoke to KcDavis I can see why he isn't discussing it with you. Learn some tact young man....

thats what he said, he will be getting an older model then I guess because he's set on a CR. And if someone chooses not to read I can say that stuff.

thats what he said, he will be getting an older model then I guess because he's set on a CR. And if someone chooses not to read I can say that stuff.

His response did not show a lack of reading, and most people put all the pertinet info in the post, I wouldn't expect someone to check your bio for information.

Let your friend know that if he is buying a 2011 Honda CR125 he's getting screwed, they quit making them around 2006, if he's getting a Husqvarna CR125, then good on him.

It sounds to me that you both need to do a considerable amount of research before you buy a bike. What is your height/weight? How much experience do you have? What type of riding, track or trail? The KTM and the Yamaha are built for totally different disciplines. The YZ would be better in the trails than the exc would do on the track for instance. Also, if you are roughly average size a 250 2 stroke is a HUGE step from a TTR 230. I'm sure you "could" handle it, until you couldn't. A good clean 125 2 stroke could be purchased for the assumed 1500 you get for the TTR, might be a better starting point depending on your skills.

• Like 4

His response did not show a lack of reading, and most people put all the pertinet info in the post, I wouldn't expect someone to check your bio for information.

Let your friend know that if he is buying a 2011 Honda CR125 he's getting screwed, they quit making them around 2006, if he's getting a Husqvarna CR125, then good on him.

It sounds to me that you both need to do a considerable amount of research before you buy a bike. What is your height/weight? How much experience do you have? What type of riding, track or trail? The KTM and the Yamaha are built for totally different disciplines. The YZ would be better in the trails than the exc would do on the track for instance. Also, if you are roughly average size a 250 2 stroke is a HUGE step from a TTR 230. I'm sure you "could" handle it, until you couldn't. A good clean 125 2 stroke could be purchased for the assumed 1500 you get for the TTR, might be a better starting point depending on your skills.

honestly read the whole thing. I ride my dad's 250f I said and it's too predictable. Also I even said! "I know those are 3 completely different bikes!" I'm leaning towards the 2 strokes. I know I can handle it, that's not a problem. I also don't want a 125 because around here these are TIGHT technical trails and steep steep hill climbs coming right out of steep riverbeds so I wouldn't have the room to get on the pipe on a 125. I'm 5'8 currently and still growing so I know I can fit and I ride 60% trail and 40% wide open fields! Which I'd why I'd like a little more power!

honestly read the whole thing. I ride my dad's 250f I said and it's too predictable. Also I even said! "I know those are 3 completely different bikes!" I'm leaning towards the 2 strokes. I know I can handle it, that's not a problem. I also don't want a 125 because around here these are TIGHT technical trails and steep steep hill climbs coming right out of steep riverbeds so I wouldn't have the room to get on the pipe on a 125. I'm 5'8 currently and still growing so I know I can fit and I ride 60% trail and 40% wide open fields! Which I'd why I'd like a little more power!

I read the whole thing, and the fact that you felt a 250f is predictable is not an answer the my question. I will say this, if you think that a 250f is predictable you are correct, if you think you are using that bike to it's potential you are lying.

You finally provided useful information, still didn't answer all my questions, but information regardless....

A KTM exc and a YZ 250 ARE totally different machines. Get the KTM as I assume the YZ would be a bit much for you. If you are riding tight woods have a look at a KTM 200, plenty of tourque, and a better displacement for a newish young rider.

5' 8" is a little short for a 250 without much experience. What is your weight? How much experience?

I read the whole thing, and the fact that you felt a 250f is predictable is not an answer the my question. I will say this, if you think that a 250f is predictable you are correct, if you think you are using that bike to it's potential you are lying.

You finally provided useful information, still didn't answer all my questions, but information regardless....

A KTM exc and a YZ 250 ARE totally different machines. Get the KTM as I assume the YZ would be a bit much for you. If you are riding tight woods have a look at a KTM 200, plenty of tourque, and a better displacement for a newish young rider.

5' 8" is a little short for a 250 without much experience. What is your weight? How much experience?

I have a few years experience I weigh about 150 and honestly I'd rather have the YZ because I've heard KTM,s are junk but I do like the light on the exc's and the 200 I've heard have torque like a 125

Just because the bike is predictable doesn't mean you're riding it to its full potential. I ride a 125, and I do trails rather often. I don't always do hill climbs, but my bike does perfectly fine for them. I wouldn't suggest a 250 to someone as cocky as you, that's a quick way to get yourself hurt badly. If you get hurt badly and you're already having trouble getting your dad to let you buy a new bike then good luck getting another until you're out of his house. Just look into a 125, they have plenty of power and you aren't going to be winding anything out on trails unless you're an A class or Expert class racer. That's just my opinion.

• Like 2

I have a few years experience I weigh about 150 and honestly I'd rather have the YZ because I've heard KTM,s are junk but I do like the light on the exc's and the 200 I've heard have torque like a 125

I have No idea who you have been talking to but they have been feeding you complete wrong info, KTM's are in no way junk and are of a superior quality to Japanese bikes but you pay for it, The 200's have torque nothing like a 125 either. Seems to me you should be on a 125 2 stroke or even a KDX 200/220 since you don't do motocross

• Like 2

You could NOT be more mis-informed about KTM. Do your own research, you will find that KTM builds a high quality product.

The 200 2 stroke is significantly tourquier than a 125, and generally speaking has a friendlier gear box for trail riding than a 125. I ride a 150 2 stroke on the track and trail and don't need more. If you know how to use it a 125/150 2 stroke is tons of fun the woods, light and easy to turn. Learn how to tune it and you'll be surprised at what they can do. For minimal investment you can have porting work done, adjust squish, low end pipes, gearing will all make a 125 perfect for the woods, or turn it in to a 144cc, which is what I did with my last 125. My brother is 45 years old and 180 lbs and rides the heck out of his 125, it's about the rider more than the bike. At your size/skill level it is a better choice than a 250 imo.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

You could NOT be more mis-informed about KTM. Do your own research, you will find that KTM builds a high quality product.

The 200 2 stroke is significantly tourquier than a 125, and generally speaking has a friendlier gear box for trail riding than a 125. I ride a 150 2 stroke on the track and trail and don't need more. If you know how to use it a 125/150 2 stroke is tons of fun the woods, light and easy to turn. Learn how to tune it and you'll be surprised at what they can do. For minimal investment you can have porting work done, adjust squish, low end pipes, gearing will all make a 125 perfect for the woods, or turn it in to a 144cc, which is what I did with my last 125. My brother is 45 years old and 180 lbs and rides the heck out of his 125, it's about the rider more than the bike. At your size/skill level it is a better choice than a 250 imo.

Why would you share info about how good KTMs are with him. :bonk:

Then he'll be over at KTM 2 stroke.

Kid get a Yz250 or a cammed CRF450R. It'll be sick

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 5

Why would you share info about how good KTMs are with him. :bonk:

Then he'll be over at KTM 2 stroke.

Kid get a Yz250 or a cammed CRF450R. It'll be sick

I asked him to do his own research, I'm sure his brothers uncle's cousin had a 91 MX125 and it was a POS.

Research done!! :)

• Like 3

This kids a joke. Please exit the sport now, return when you have learned manners, respect and humility.

• Like 4

I asked him to do his own research, I'm sure his brothers uncle's cousin had a 91 MX125 and it was a POS.

Research done!! :)

I couldn't care how he thinks KTM makes junk. More so the below:

This kids a joke. Please exit the sport now, return when you have learned manners, respect and humility.

• Like 2

Is anyone else curious as to how this kid plans to get $1500 for a TTR? Are you throwing in another bike for free?

• Like 1