Sign in to follow this  

front tire space uneven

I've done my forum search...but nothing up to date with the new bikes... So I have a 2013 300xc for desert racing....  just so you know a bit about what I know... lol... I raced and completed the Baja 1000 nov 2013 on a Honda 450x (this is the only other bike I've ever owned) So my questions.... I've done head rebuild on the honda... so I'm not naive to mechanical issues.

1. I noticed the right fork leg sits really close to the tire knobbies about 1/4" or so... the brake side is almost 1/2"... I've noticed this since first tire change... Is this normal... yes the left side is tight to the leg and then bolts torqued.. then compressed and rebounded the front end several times then tightened up the right. The right side hex head (molded into the axle... not a nut) pulls slightly into the axle mount however that is where it settles every time.

I'm worried due to some rubbing when I'm in nasty mud ... rarity... I've checked the guards.. they are centered... I'm ok with it if its normal. If not then I have to figure out what to do next.

The honda sits very centered...

No, it isn't normal. It should be centered (even on both sides) Maybe post some detailed pictures?

Unlike the Japanese bikes the KTM uses a different method to install the front wheel. Tighten the single nut on the axle first, then compress the suspension several times to center the wheel. Then tighten the two fork leg pinch bolts on each side.

Another thought. Are you using the plastic fork guards as your measurement reference point? Could one of the guards be twisted making it appear the wheel is not centered?

Have you ever checked the dish of the wheel? The dish can be thrown off by tightening the spokes with the wheel on the bike. It really needs to be done in a truing stand to be dished perfectly.

Try riding your bike on a road with no hands. If the bike wants to dive to one side you might want to true the wheel to get the dish right again. This is a very common problem with bicycle wheels. I true all my own wheels all the time, both bicycle and motorcycle wheels. It is not hard, it just takes the right tools and some patience.

IMAG0436_zps5b29b048.jpg

IMAG0432_zps4d2b23f6.jpgIMAG0433_zps00e4636e.jpgIMAG0434_zpsed2a66af.jpg

Sorry these are huge... but I have the two sides together... It looks like it is off about 2mm to the right... I tighten the front as its is described in the manual.. I tighten the left side axle nut.. then tighten the left side pinch bolts... then compress multiple times (several races and no known binding) tighten the right side pinch bolts... 

No the bike doesn't have a pull one way or the other... it spins without any wobble in the rim... 

Why are you so worried about that? Just true the wheel up and not worry about it.

Is there still the same amount of clearance next to the guards with the wheel rotated in different positions?

Is there still the same amount of clearance next to the guards with the wheel rotated in different positions?

I assume you mean spun ... yes there is no variance in distance in the entire 360 degrees of rotation... I'm not worried about it just wondering if it was normal or worth trying to figure out... If not then cool... I know from the scratches that the tire does rub on occasion either from normal hit shocks vibrating the tire or from flexing of the fork guard. The brakes line up fine... all that is good... so I don't know that there is much else to do.. but I wanted to make sure.

Yep, it looks like the dish of the wheel is off. The rim is not centered over the hub. That is the dish of the wheel. You have to loosen the spokes on the side that is closer to the fork and tighten the spokes on the other side to pull the rim back to center. This is a basic part of truing a wheel. You have three things to true. Dish, hop and wobble (Side to side). Most people only think of the side to side when truing a wheel.

Edited by Larry63r