Sign in to follow this  

crf450 carb on drz

i bought an fcr from a crf450 2006 model off of gumtrees for a steal. paid 50 bucks for it an it looks to be in fantastic condition,no movement at all on the slide. anybody know if this could be made to fit a drz400sm. i now understand this carb is 40mm. would it be as simple as just installing a sleeve on the inlet side to reduce it to 39mm or are there other factors i need to consider, i already have the slant body fcr on my drz but it is fairly worn out so looking to upgrade

IMG_20140825_090945.jpg

IMG_20140825_090958.jpg

IMG_20140825_091012.jpg

actually more 'flow' in a carb doesnt help response or power anywhere except maybe right at the top IF your motor can actually benefit from it .. but i think the benefits of these types of carbs are the pumps and other features, a cv carb isnt exactly quick imo ..but going too large can make a carb difficult to jet .. your actually reducing air velocity with a large bore carb, and velocity is the 'signal' that a carb uses to draw fuel, the higher the better for precise metering and response .. that said, i would guess its close enough for rocknroll ..

i'll measure it up against the 39mm and see if i can sleeve it, i would rather it be smaller than larger as i prefer torque over horsepower. cheers guys