Sign in to follow this  

premix for a 99 300exc

just got a 99 300 exc and looking for reccomendations on a premix oil and ratio to run in it.  got it from a dealer as a trade in and they didn't know what the previous owner was running. i am a novice rider so i won't be riding it too hard. also what oil does everybody run in the trans on these bikes?

In the trans..  I These days I like the Honda gear oil, as it is readily available just about anywhere.  Otherwise over the years I have used just about everything out there.  Back in the day it was 30 W non-detergent motor oil.  I used Castrol Syntec for several years, Torco cause I was winning it at the dez races, you name it I probly used it.  I have never had an issue with a tranny.  So take your pick. 

As for premix, I say see what name brand oil is available in your area and go with that.  50:1 is just fine..

• Like 1

I use automobile synth trans oil now in my 2st gear boxes it shifts and finds neutral easier, but any oil will work as long as it does not have any friction modifiers like moly for instance. The pre-mix is good in the 40-1 to 50-1 range. I personally use 3 oz oil per gal of gas cuz its easy to measure and calculate, this equals about 44-1.

alright thanks guys. ordered some belray gear saver for the trans which is alot thicker than what you guys run but i can always switch if it is an issue. and some maxima castor 927 premix and i will try it at 50:1 and see how it likes it.

Good unbiased advice above. Below too I hope.

If the case is leaking thick stuff won't fix it, it just leaks slower.

ATF has worked for years and lasts 200,000 miles in your mom's transmission and in 4x4 transfercases these days.

Thinner oil like ATF or good 2-stroke gear oils like Motul or Silkolene or Ipone will reduce clutch drag and jump especially when cold.

Forget the car oils, they will burn the clutch in time. Stick with a good name product and experiment to see the differences.

Forget about price. What does a $5 difference mean anyway, use the best.

About mix oil, buy the best. I like Ipone (hmmm, fresh berry smell!) or Motul synthetics.

Forget about all non-synthetics except proper castor (not Castrol!) oil. Forget about gas station oils

Make sure it is "MIX oil" and not "injector oil. There is a difference.

One quart will do over 12 gallons of gas so don't worry about price.

Buy the best and you have no fouling and little ring wear. I got 7 years out of my first ring and piston.

Even then I dropped it in water when it still had great compression.

Buy proper dirtbike oils, buy the best, damn the price, ride confident.

Steve Best