Sign in to follow this  

Crank case oil change

I have approximately 2 hours (really easy going hours) on my new 250xc--is it time to change crank case oil, or can I go a bit longer? Thanks for your opinions.

The manual calls for changing the trans oil every 20hours, but I change mine every 10, especially after a race.

Edited by Algreen

The crankcase is lubed by the oil in the fuel, you mean the trans oil, like others have said KTM says it can go 20 hours, if you abuse the clutch a lot change it more ofte. 

Not trying to flame you Squid but the crankshaft and lower con rod bearing is lubed by the premix. (as well as the cylinder walls, under side of the piston and the wrist pin and bearing.) Crankcase is just another word for transmission. If it was MY new KTM, I would go ahead and change the oil after you ride it hard the first time and then start following the recommendation in the manual. Remember, you have a whole bunch of new parts in there that are rubbing and rotating on each other (sounds kinky :devil: ) that have never rubbed and rotated on each other before, so there is going to be some metallic debris floating around in there. It's much better for your new bike if you minimize the amount of time those things are in there.   Just an old farts .02...

and crankcase is another WRONG word for the transmission

Squid said the lower end etc was lubed by the pre-mix-"the oil in the fuel"

So, what was your point in the not trying to flame Squid?? Did you misunderstand his post??

• Like 2

I'm not offended by anything, I just see these words misused a lot. Maybe, possibly, I've got it wrong but I don't think so.  :thinking:

Like I said the "crank case" is lubed by the premix. To ME, the crank case would be "the case in which the crank is housed", but technically speaking the "cases" have two "chambers for lack of a better word", the one just described, and also where the transmission resides. I think it would be "less correct" to call the "chamber" where the transmission is the "crank case" than it would be to call the former the "crank case".

To me it's transmission and crank case. Transmission is lubed with gear oil (I use ATF wanna debate that ?  :devil: ), and the crankcase is lubed with the premix.  :prof:

Sheesh mike, calm down.  I wouldn't say that crankcase is necessarily a "wrong" word for the transmission. I think it comes down to exactly what it is that you happen to be referring to at the time and how you are referring to it.   I did not misunderstand his post at all. Maybe you should re-read it because it says "the crankcase is lubed by the oil in the fuel..." . Not the "lower end etc".)  My point was that I was trying to explain what the original poster was talking about and that I was not trying to discredit Squid or disrespect him in any way. Besides you cannot really change the "crankcase" oil as you are referring to it because there is a fresh charge of oil and fuel coming in with each stroke.  To me the when someone talks about changing crankcase oil it is understood that they are talking about tranny oil. At least on a 2 stroke, and this IS a 2 stroke forum.   It is also possible that it can be called different things depending on what part of the country you are from. Anyway, it's all good, was not trying to come onhere and start any hate and discontent. :ride:

sorry, sometimes something just sets a guy off

just trying to get people to use correct terms so we can help him quicker easier better

• Like 1

sorry, sometimes something just sets a guy off

just trying to get people to use correct terms so we can help him quicker easier better

Exactly. 

Sheesh mike, calm down.  I wouldn't say that crankcase is necessarily a "wrong" word for the transmission. I think it comes down to exactly what it is that you happen to be referring to at the time and how you are referring to it.   I did not misunderstand his post at all. Maybe you should re-read it because it says "the crankcase is lubed by the oil in the fuel..." . Not the "lower end etc".)  My point was that I was trying to explain what the original poster was talking about and that I was not trying to discredit Squid or disrespect him in any way. Besides you cannot really change the "crankcase" oil as you are referring to it because there is a fresh charge of oil and fuel coming in with each stroke.  To me the when someone talks about changing crankcase oil it is understood that they are talking about tranny oil. At least on a 2 stroke, and this IS a 2 stroke forum.   It is also possible that it can be called different things depending on what part of the country you are from. Anyway, it's all good, was not trying to come onhere and start any hate and discontent. :ride:

Look at it from this angle. If you visit the Honda CRF Forum for instance and you say. 

I want to change the crank case oil in my 05 CRF 450 Honda. Which Oil should I use?

Everyone who knows there dick from a hole in the ground is going to think you want to change the oil in the "crankcase" which feeds as you said before for the 2t, basically the crank to the head on the 4t. 

Now keep in mind that on that same CRF 450 the transmission oil, exactly what the OP was talking about changing is seperate and nobody would refer to the transmission oil as crankcase oil.  Does that make any sense?

I wouldn't say that crankcase is necessarily a "wrong" word for the transmission. ......To me the when someone talks about changing crankcase oil it is understood that they are talking about tranny oil. At least on a 2 stroke, and this IS a 2 stroke forum.   It is also possible that it can be called different things depending on what part of the country you are from.

This isn't a soda, or pop, or cola confusion. It's the difference between using the correct term (transmission or gearbox) vs using the wrong term (crank case).

This is comedy central.  I'm sure anyone who read the title understood what he meant. It's not that uncommon for people to refer crankcase oil meaning trans oil. I mean you

don't do an oil change on your pre-mix.  The guy just asked a simple question and gets blasted for using the wrong terminology?  :lame:

This is comedy central.  The guy just asked a simple question and gets blasted for using the wrong terminology?  :lame:

The OP was not blasted for his terminology. I think you're confused about who posted what. 

This is comedy central.  I'm sure anyone who read the title understood what he meant. It's not that uncommon for people to refer crankcase oil meaning trans oil. I mean you

don't do an oil change on your pre-mix.  The guy just asked a simple question and gets blasted for using the wrong terminology?  :lame:

^^  This.   Except the OP isn't really getting blasted, I am catching some roost because I tried to clarify what the OP was talking about. I have personally never heard of the bottom end of a dirt bike engine- specifically just where the crankshaft weights and the lower con rod bearing live referred to as a "crankcase".  I agree the OP should have used a better/correct word for it, but I think under the circumstances it was understood what he meant.    It's still all good!

If the bike is brand new, change it an hour and a half ago. You will be amazed at the metal particles on the the magnetic drain plug.

I have approximately 2 hours (really easy going hours) on my new 250xc--is it time to change crank case oil, or can I go a bit longer? Thanks for your opinions.

The crank case oil is changed every time you put fuel in the bike. If you've somehow found some other way to change, I'd really like to hear it. 

• Like 1

The crank case oil is changed every time you put fuel in the bike. If you've somehow found some other way to change, I'd really like to hear it.

pour some in the oil injection reservoir?

pour some in the oil injection reservoir?

Which year of "250xc" does the OP own that came with an oil injection reservoir?

Why would the reservoir for oil injection be inside the crank case?

What KTM is oil injected?