Sign in to follow this  

Pit bikes on mx track

Anyone else take a pit bike on an mx track. I DID last night. It was a tonne of fun up until it really hurt. Honestly I was expecting it to be worse (jumps to big for pit bikes, sand to loose and deep) after getting my little cara set up right for it full speed ahead. Lean back on the sand and keep hard on the gas and go as high in the corner as possible to avoid the big bike ruts and pray a little as you leave the lip of each double (there was a lot of ridicules jumps at this track). It was a blast until I hit a loose patch before a jump lost my speed and crashed into the face of the landing. Bike survives for another day, but next time chest protection and pads... I'm a little sore. I'm curious now about others experiences on full size tracks with little bikes.

• Like 1

Took mine to local track in Gorman California.   Had a blast, but handling over some of the jumps sucked as did any dry sand deeper than 3 inches.  Rotate  your bars backwards as far as you dare to move your weight off front wheel.  I moved mine back about 2 inches..  yeah that far.  sure helped in deep sand.   These bikes, with 14 inch front wheels suck in sand, unless you make some changes.  Mine rode like I was sitting on the tank with half throttle in the sand, thus, sucking the front wheel under and tossing me off, EVERY time.  I have many years racing experience and nothing helped.  so I changed front tire, softened the rear spring adjustment, moved bars back, put recommended 20 pounds of air in tires, and it was improvement but not solution.  The smaller wheels do take a lot of practice getting use to.   Keep  your eyes on bolts and nuts coming loose, and spokes, and adjust them valves frequently, they seem to get tight after 10 hours of hard riding..  The bike does fly pretty good, and is stable going in and out of turns, but is a bit unpredictable over the newer strangely lipped jumps, ya never know if  your going straight up or outward.  Practice might help that.  I enjoyed the time one the MX track, enough so, to think about  racing it.  Sorry  you crashed, that sucks, so far I have been very lucky and hitting the soft dry sand, or a bush, and  we all know that luck wont last for long. ha ha

Good luck

have fun..

Gary ssr 125 TR owner

Took mine to local track in Gorman California. Had a blast, but handling over some of the jumps sucked as did any dry sand deeper than 3 inches. Rotate your bars backwards as far as you dare to move your weight off front wheel. I moved mine back about 2 inches.. yeah that far. sure helped in deep sand. These bikes, with 14 inch front wheels suck in sand, unless you make some changes. Mine rode like I was sitting on the tank with half throttle in the sand, thus, sucking the front wheel under and tossing me off, EVERY time. I have many years racing experience and nothing helped. so I changed front tire, softened the rear spring adjustment, moved bars back, put recommended 20 pounds of air in tires, and it was improvement but not solution. The smaller wheels do take a lot of practice getting use to. Keep your eyes on bolts and nuts coming loose, and spokes, and adjust them valves frequently, they seem to get tight after 10 hours of hard riding.. The bike does fly pretty good, and is stable going in and out of turns, but is a bit unpredictable over the newer strangely lipped jumps, ya never know if your going straight up or outward. Practice might help that. I enjoyed the time one the MX track, enough so, to think about racing it. Sorry you crashed, that sucks, so far I have been very lucky and hitting the soft dry sand, or a bush, and we all know that luck wont last for long. ha ha

Good luck

have fun..

Gary ssr 125 TR owner

I've had a lot of these pit bikes. At one point I was importing them for a discount and selling them to friends to get mine extra cheap but now I just do my own. My cara is pretty good in most any conditions for a pit bike.. better than any other brands I've had anyway but that might be the result of spending way to much building it up combined with me being shorter than most people. The track has always been around but I never thought to go until a few weeks ago and the bike did fine... Any issues were due to not remembering the track after 6 years and yes the lips of the jump were unpredictable. The jumps throw pit bikes way different than normal bikes. Anyway I'm all recovered now (except my ego) and may go back next week if I have time. However I would not recommend a stock pit bike on a real track. Stock 125 play bikes just don't have the power needed to make the big jumps I don't think. Haven't tried but I can't imagine my bike would have been any good there stock between the deep sand and big, nearly vertical take offs. And yes ride with your bars way back. I was pretty well sitting on my fender when I was sitting. Kinda unusual riding position but these bikes were not designed with anything soft in mind be it sand or mud.

spencersmith89, 

Thank you for your reply and input.   I am glad to see I am not alone with solving handling problems with mini bikes on race tracks or in soft dirt.  

After my last test ride after many suspension changes, I now  have to tighten up the rear spring, its still too soft, and I also decided to remove that extra fourth fork spring it was too soft, and replace it with my original choice a stiffer spring.   This should finish all needed adjustments to the front end, except maybe some oil level changes.   It would figure if you add 1.7 inches of additional travel that you would also need to add the same in PERCENTAGE of OIL added.  But this number comes out to be too much OIL, stopping full fork travel, so I went back to stock oil level of 222-230 cc of fork fluid in each leg.  Sheesh, I had more volume, why did I not have more room for more oil?  its a mystery to me.

I am also rotating my bars back forward a bit, still more backwards than when I had all the handling problems with steering.   I can do this because the front end is now HIGHER, and is less effected by soft sand and loose rocks.  I have not ridden in mud yet, since it does not rain in California. ha ha  More to come when I test ride it again soon.

OH BTW, I got the external oil cooler on with no problems at all after I got all the parts that is.  With NO directions with almost all parts for these Chinese bikes, there was some confusion on which way the gasket should go back in for the adapter plate for the oil cooler lines.  I put it back in stock, but it could have gone in upside down, with probably poor results in cooling. 

Take care.  

Gary

spencersmith89,

Thank you for your reply and input. I am glad to see I am not alone with solving handling problems with mini bikes on race tracks or in soft dirt.

After my last test ride after many suspension changes, I now have to tighten up the rear spring, its still too soft, and I also decided to remove that extra fourth fork spring it was too soft, and replace it with my original choice a stiffer spring. This should finish all needed adjustments to the front end, except maybe some oil level changes. It would figure if you add 1.7 inches of additional travel that you would also need to add the same in PERCENTAGE of OIL added. But this number comes out to be too much OIL, stopping full fork travel, so I went back to stock oil level of 222-230 cc of fork fluid in each leg. Sheesh, I had more volume, why did I not have more room for more oil? its a mystery to me.

I am also rotating my bars back forward a bit, still more backwards than when I had all the handling problems with steering. I can do this because the front end is now HIGHER, and is less effected by soft sand and loose rocks. I have not ridden in mud yet, since it does not rain in California. ha ha More to come when I test ride it again soon.

OH BTW, I got the external oil cooler on with no problems at all after I got all the parts that is. With NO directions with almost all parts for these Chinese bikes, there was some confusion on which way the gasket should go back in for the adapter plate for the oil cooler lines. I put it back in stock, but it could have gone in upside down, with probably poor results in cooling.

Take care.

Gary

Half the fun of pit bikes is modifying them to suit your riding style. Personally I enjoy my quiet time wrenching on things and experimenting. No instructions makes it almost like the 3d puzzles and since parts are reasonably cheap if you mess up its not the end of the world. As far as handling issues go, for me there was less to do since I'm shorter than average. Being a heavy guy though I did have to put a better rear shock in but now my rebound is a little quick with little I can do to solve it but still far better than stock. Glad to hear your having fun with your pit bike to though. We need more people with positive experience with Chinese bikes to grow the industry. Maybe one day more tracks will have pit bike classes and events.