2014 starts for about 3 or 4 seconds then dies

So half way thru riding today my sons 14' 250f starts to die randomly. It has 32hrs on it. It restarts then dies after 3 seconds like someone hit the kill switch. Have not taken anything apart recently and he hasnt rode since last weekend when it ran great. Anybody have any ideas??? Tommorrow will take apart check every connector but after that im stumped if its not a connector.

the sensor is located in front of the cylinder. remove it and shake it, it should rattle.

a correct mounted sensor (arrow up) should have 0.4 - 1.4V at the brown wire (grey is ground) when the motor is running.

at more than 3.7V it says "tilt" and will shut the engine off after a few seconds.

if it's not the vehicle down sensor, you should read out the error codes, must be shown in the owners manual

PS: wire colours are from the 450 schematics, look at the schematics in the owners manual for correct colours...

• Like 1

the sensor is located in front of the cylinder. remove it and shake it, it should rattle.

a correct mounted sensor (arrow up) should have 0.4 - 1.4V at the brown wire (grey is ground) when the motor is running.

at more than 3.7V it says "tilt" and will shut the engine off after a few seconds.

if it's not the vehicle down sensor, you should read out the error codes, must be shown in the owners manual

PS: wire colours are from the 450 schematics, look at the schematics in the owners manual for correct colours...

kawamaha  your the man. /it was the vehicle down sensor. I used swapatronics to verify. haha.  Now i just hope i can get the new part by friday for a 4 day race we have.  

if not, you can plug a 1.5V battery or 1.2V Accu (brown + and grey -) to the connector until the new sensor arrives... ?

We borrowed one from a friend who is still hurt and cant ride just in case.......

• 9 years later...
On 8/27/2014 at 4:13 AM, crackhead said:

my mates 2012 did the same thing, vehicle down sensor

strange issue, but seems common enough with the injected 2012 kx250f's

easy fix atleast.

wtf cracked piston, strangest suggestion out.

Did you order a new one or did you have a way to test if it was broken first?