Sign in to follow this  

Breaking in Rotors/Pads

Any recommendation on best method to break in a new front rotor and set of pads?

The parts were delayed and I am now not going to get a chance to ride my bike until race day next weekend.    Is it possible to break them in properly during first practice session, or am I better to keep the old rotor and pads?    My current front rotor is a little tweaked and rubbing the pads at certain points, so would prefer to replace it for peace of mind.

Any tips?

In first gear, accelerate, then hit the brakes hard! Not enough to lock them up but to drag hard.... Do this about 8-10 times allowing the brakes to cool down a bit before attempting another pass... Brakes will be good to go BUT, stopping power will increase as the pads set into the rotor more....

• Like 1

I just put 'em on and go, never had a problem. It's another one of those things that you don't want to over think. :rolleyes:

I agree, but I would clean rotor with brake cleaner first.

If you really want them strong right off the bat, and have access to a brake lathe, i some times run a small sanding disc back and forth while it's turning on the lathe, no rougher than 120 grit. The pads break in real fast and have more grip.

If you want the BEST performance from your stuff, do it right...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/wiki/_/breaking-in-your-brakes-r107

Recreational riders will likely not benefit as much as racers. None the less, bedding in your brakes properly has no downside.

I just scanned the article, but that's not too far off from riding normally, which I do whether breaking in pads or an engine, but avoiding extremes for the first little bit.

Mike