Sign in to follow this  

need experinced troubleshooting help asap

I had purchased a 97 yz 125 last year. entire bike completely rebuilt over $3500 just in parts everything inside and out brand new. I was having really bad sppoge issues and hard starts only when hot. I repacked silencer and finally got jetting great any changed on clip setting main or pilot one change on any did not run great so I thought I was finally good but still had hard hot starts then it died I lost all spark through trouble shooting I had to replace cdi. had to get a used one the bike came alive again. although right before it lost spark jetting was soo perfect. i assume the cdi was slowly going bad and the hard hot starts was because of it going bad. well now with the cdi in and bike running its crackling at 3/4 to full throttle ill actually foul plug or flood whatever. so i leaned out the main and clip one a little better could get a tiny more rpm but then crackled and bike died unless i rode in beginning of gears only. so i leaned one more main reved in nutureal wide open and now got a bog and engine shut off put new plug in and shes alive again i took it home rechecked reeds seals compression leaks low coolant missing gearbox oil powervalve operation all is good. i have been rebilding this since last august everything on this bike was bad, craked frame and all it is literally showroom  new now  except for this issue i had so many problems and troubleshooting everthing that can go wrong on this bike and resolved this is the last issue thing else is new and even double checked for good operation any ideas on my sputtering when wide open i cant get more than halfway through the rpms but could before new cdi but i don't see how it is that 100% reliable starts and runs great at lower rpms but cant even ride past 3/4 up the rpms  oh yeah now has high idle on cold starts but when warm idles fine im lost please help

the stator is probably bad. the hotter it gets the more it shorts, makes less voltage the ignition will work but not correctly. Had the problem on some Euro bikes before

• Like 1

Start by checking the stator, (specs in manual).  You can also check the ignition coil, and if both of those are in spec, it's likely the CDI.  I would also check your wiring harness for continuity.