Sign in to follow this  

Intro and Question

Hi all,

Happy to be back on a dirt bike again after 5 years and happy to become a member of the community here.  Just bought a 2005 CRF250r.  Bike is pretty clean and has a bunch of trick parts, but needs some tune up work and some new parts (I imagine).  At this point I have it mostly up to par with where my old 2004 was at, but I am experiencing a throttle/rpm issue that I've never felt in all the years I've been riding.  Perhaps someone here has some advice...

The bikes rpms seem to rise and fall at idle, while cold, warm and hot without any encouragement from the throttle.  It gets stranger too.  When I am riding the bike, it randomly will maintain a higher rpm than it should, if I am on the throttle and roll off, causing it to surge into corners until I grab the clutch.  It also will idle considerable higher than where the idle screw is set at, when I come to a stop, once I've been riding it for a while.

I have cleaned the carb and have all of the jets and needle dialed in to the right spec.  Does this sound like a vacuum leak or possibly a throttle position sensor issue?

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Glad to be here.

-Matt 

Throttle cable too tight or binding up, perhaps.

Edited by Eddie8v

be sure the boot from the carb to head is not cracked and the hot start is not stuck open....

To my knowledge, the bike does have a TPS, even as carb motor.  I disconnected it when I pulled the carb out to clean it.  I don't think it's a jet.  I've cleaned those.  The vacuum leak seems like a likely culprit though.  Hot start works and the throttle is not sticking.  

Anyone know a good way to search for a vacuum leak?