Sign in to follow this  

Basic parts to clean or replace to maintain your dirtbike?

Hi everyone i'm new to motorcycles and bought a used 2007 Drz400, based on how it runs and the guy I got it from I don't think its been maintained very well at all. So my question is what are the basic things you should clean or grease every year? Is it possible anything might need completely replaced every now and then as well? I'm aware of cleaning the carb but what else can you do do maintain the longevity of you bike? 

Any tips?   :excuseme:

Check and re-grease the upper and lower bearings on your steering stem, also remove the swing-arm check and re-grease the bearings, be very careful with the swing-arm bearings as they can fall out.

Ive seen a-lot of neglect on checking swing-arms because guys don't feel like removing the rear wheel, its something that has to be done, have a good look at the condition of all bearings your going to grease, you may need to change them.

Get yourself a foot pound and a smaller inch pound torque wrench.

Check the tt drz forum for problems and fixes, the model specific forums are just loaded with great information, if you have a problem, there is a good chance somebody else has had it, and its been discussed and fixed by members input. 

• Like 2

Changing brake fluid is another seldom done maintenance item. Get yourself a Mity Vac (or one of the many knock off versions) and do a complete fluid change every year. Brake fluid draws moisture like crazy, and with the small amount in the systems, it doesn't take long for a caliper piston rusting amount of water to collect.

Another thing, while you have the swing arm off greasing (probably replacing) the bearings, if they're not already rusted and seized solid, take the chain adjuster bolts out and give them a coat of copper anti seize.

• Like 2