Sign in to follow this  

2002 honda xr 200 engine rebuild

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2002 xr 200 and this coming winter I'm planning on rebuilding the motor. It burns a little bit of oil now but I'm sure it'll get worse the more I ride it. Anyways my question is if there are any after market performance up grades for the engine? I'd like to have a little more power so does anyone make better cams? Is there pistons that'll make more compression? What can I do to get more horse power out of it?

Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2002 xr 200 and this coming winter I'm planning on rebuilding the motor. It burns a little bit of oil now but I'm sure it'll get worse the more I ride it. Anyways my question is if there are any after market performance up grades for the engine? I'd like to have a little more power so does anyone make better cams? Is there pistons that'll make more compression? What can I do to get more horse power out of it?

Thank you.

Hey there. Just remember that for every mod you do on this that the reliability is not the same. 

There is lots of parts like hot cam and hi comp pistons. 

Try XR's only for parts. I just bought some stuff off them. They are great. Google them. 

Check out chucks 218 Powroll rebuild. Lots of good tips in there. 

I liked the 1990 - 1996 models. They had a better suspension set up. 

Your question is somewhat vague. What I mean by that is, what type of riding are going to do with it, race Enduro's, ride around the farm ???

If you overbore it, which I suspect you will, you are increasing compression by ~ :.16 per each .5mm overbore.

I would recommend a WiseCo piston and keep it stock. 10:1 compression is actually pretty good on the stocker. 

I would then get an XR's only header and maybe a DG exhaust and call it good if you are looking for a performance increase. 

Your biggest issue is going to be your suspension.

It does not matter how much you put into the motor as far as performance if the suspension can't keep up. 

This leads us back to the original question, what type of riding are you going to be doing with it ?

There are many more engine modifications you can do to it to increase the hp, torque and throttle response and as Geof stated at the expense of reliability somewhere down the road. 

Michael

Happen "to know a guy" who is doing stroker cranks for these as we speak. As far as hop-ups my suggestion is to get a pipe and then make sure everything else is up to par. Wiseco 10-1 piston in 66.00 a fresh bore and valves and valvejob is best starting place. If you want more later there are many many choices. I myself like stroker with mild cam for trails. Torque and throttle response is king in trails. Of course I race these also and "HOT" ones are a blast but are special purpose motors and not flexible for all types of riding.

Sorry for the dely in replying been busy with work. Anyways the type of riding I do is trail riding and I Ride it a lot on my yard where I sort of have a flat circle track set up and I actually kind of ride the bike hard. Suspension wise it sucks and I'm planning on upgrading it after I do the motor. Reason I'm doing the motor first is because I've learned to ride with the crappy suspension. I'm aware any mods I do to the motor will drop the reliability of it but I'm pretty confident in my mechanical skills that I can keep it going.