Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about buying a banshee.

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a banshee. I was just wondering if there are anything they are famous for having take a crap on you. I herd something about the water pumps are crap. I wanna know what you guys have to say. Thanks

• Like 1

There are a baziliion aftermarket parts for them, so you have that going for you. If you ride it hard, you will be doing top end work, but that is an easy task anyway. What kind of riding areas will you be riding? My brother had a banshee for a few years and I have buddies that ride them currently. I myself have the Raptor700, modified quite a bit so that is a machine I am super happy with.

I will be riding on mostly sand dunes. I have a crf 450 that I love to ride I just want a fun fast quad for friends and family and to do some fun night riding with. But on the sand we don't go hard all the time we usually will just cruise around and when you come to big dune is when you give her hell and hope you make it.

Yup, famous for taking a crap on you if you don't know what you are doing with a 2 stroke.

Expensive and moderately complicated to fix too.

Suspension is not great but power is a rush.

Sand and hard running will kill it if you don't know jetting inside and out.

Steve

Banshees are great ATV's. I have had two. There is not a more comfortable riding sport ATV out there. The seats are plush and banshees sit low. These are two things you want when riding on the dunes.

There are tons of aftermarket products / mods for them because they were the longest running production ATV in history. I think Yamaha still makes them for the Australian and Mexican markets.

As long as you make sure your gas / oil mix is at or near OEM recommendations and you keep in mind there is no cooling fan for the radiator, you should get a lot of years out of a Banshee. Most of the blown Banshees I have seen were related to overheating and extreme mostly gas / light oil mixes.

I think you will love a Banshee. Fun fact to keep in mind is that in the right hands a used $1500 - $2000 stock Banshee will beat a new $7000+ stock or lightly moded 450 in a dune race. I know, I have done it and seen it done.

I hope this helps with your decision making. Cheers, Pete - FMSI

• Like 1

Yup, famous for taking a crap on you if you don't know what you are doing with a 2 stroke.

Expensive and moderately complicated to fix too.

Suspension is not great but power is a rush.

Sand and hard running will kill it if you don't know jetting inside and out.

Steve

Let's see:

No timing chain, no valves, no valve guides, no valve springs, no oil filter, no fuel injection mapping, nothing to uncork. Where's the complication at?

Use name-brand oil at 24-32:1 depending on load expected. Buy a jd jet kit. Follow instructions. Pretty easy and FUN.

A JD jet kit is $75 and typically includes 3 main jets, 2 pilots and a needle and are usually fine for an unmodified engine if you know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing, too lean a jet will overheat and scuff up your piston and cylinder. So, which jets in the kit do you use? This is why it is important to know how to jet before you monkey around with a 2 stroke engine, as simple as they may seem. either that or leave it stock and enjoy the great power that a Banshee has stock with its typically rich safe factory jetting.

Incidentally a jet is $3 and a needle is $6 at my local shop. Makes the JD jet kit worth about $25 at wholesale prices. Learn to read plugs and jet accordingly.

Most of the blown up 2 strokes I have seen were the result of overheating too, caused by lean mixtures.

The main causes of this lean mixture were:

1) Modifications (pipe, filter, airbox etc)

2) air leaks ( bad seals, cracked boots)

3) sudden cold temperatures on closely jetted machines

4) fuel starvation or running out at full throttle

5) incorrect jetting by the owner

6) overly rich oil mixture by the owner (oil is more viscous than fuel and displaces it)

I have put thousands of kms on a street driven 2 stroke at 50:1 mixture, and went 7 years before I needed a ring and piston (actually due to a dunking, not wear) so rich mixtures are not needed with good modern oils. If you do run rich oil mixtures you have to richen up your jets too.

The Banshee is a great machine, my son has one. Just be careful. Keep it stock and carefully follow the manufacturers recommendations for long life or risk a disaster with modifications. Use the best 2 stroke oil and either keep to stock mixing for best life. I have run 2 strokes hard and modified for 35 years. Wrong mixture, wrong jet wrong oil, or wrong modification and your Banshee will be $$$ to repair (crank, 2 cylinders, pistons, cleaned up heads and labour). It is still cheaper and easier to upkeep and repair than the modern 450 quads.

25464_371305075802_2896505_n.jpg?oh=bb56

181352_10150948625965803_288494696_n.jpg

Steve

I recommended 24-32:1 based on dune usage which is tough on a two stroke. I recommend jd jet kit assuming rider doesn't know how to jet. Assuming stock motor maybe a pipe jd works fine.

If general trail riding then 32:1-40:1 depending on expected speeds/Rpms.